13th May, 2022
Closes 5pm Monday 30 May 2022
Infrastructure and Utility Services
Ongoing Full Time Position (76.5 hours per fortnight)
Salary: $54,299 per annum
Just over an hour north of Townsville is the tropical paradise of Hinchinbrook. With Ingham at its center, the region is surrounded by rugged mountain ranges, giant waterfalls, the Great Barrier Reef, wild beaches and tropical islands. It’s a place where breathtaking scenery, unique wildlife, world-class fishing experiences, delicious, locally sourced food, inspirational art and 60,000 years of culture are all weaved into one incredible story: The Hinchinbrook Way.
About the Directorate
This role is established under the Infrastructure and Utility Services Directorate. This Directorate works with Council divisions and external stakeholders to drive strategic coordination, and the delivery of a complete range of services and infrastructure including roads, water and sewerage, waste services, parks and gardens and asset management that is required to support the wellbeing and lifestyle of the community.
Purpose of Role
The Landfill Plant Operator is accountable for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of a variety of heavy plant and equipment in accordance with approved safe operating and maintenance procedures.
A key responsibility of the position is the maintenance of the active landfill area, including the compaction and covering of disposed waste materials, in accordance with relevant site management plans and regulations.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Safely operate and maintain plant by daily servicing to ensure optimal capacity and efficiency levels including accurate plant records as per Council's policies and procedures;
- Maintenance of Council's waste facilities by:
- Ensuring that approved cover material is spread and compacted to all tipped waste in accordance with site management plans and systems;
- Maintaining specific waste areas regularly, including the pushing of green waste and scrap metals;
- Performing dust suppression activities; and
- Identifying and reporting contaminated waste finds to the Waste Services Team Leader.
- Provide efficient and courteous customer service to community members;
- Enforce safety protocols at work sites;
- Work as a team member and communicate with other staff to ensure the effective implementation of waste operations; and
- Conduct any other works within the operations as directed by the Waste Services Team Leader or Waste and Compliance Coordinator.
We are seeking applicants who, within the context of the key accountabilities detailed above, possess the following:
Mandatory/Special Conditions/Other Requirements
- Demonstrated plant operator skill level medium-high with significant experience;
- Proven ability to make technical and operational decisions relating to own work requirements;
- Demonstrated experience working under limited supervision;
- Demonstrated experience in contributing to WHS and environmental protection requirements;
- Previous experience in landfill, recycling operations and maintenance;
- Hazardous material awareness in a waste environment; and
- Knowledge and understanding of waste management within in a local government context.
The following mandatory Requirements, special conditions and/or other requirements apply to this role:
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- 'C' Class Licence or greater;
- Hepatitis A/B and Tetanus vaccination (or willingness to attain);
- Construction White Card, or willingness to obtain;
- License – current Loader operating ticket; and
- License – current Dozer ticket.
The position will require the employee to carry out physical tasks which may include manual handling, repetitive bending, kneeling, twisting and/or squatting, lifting, working in confined spaces, and working at heights.
Work Environment - Indoor and Outdoor based.
How to Apply
To submit your application – Please click 'Apply For Job' and follow the steps to submit your application. Please ensure you provide a resume and cover letter outlining your relevant experience, achievements and motivation for applying for this position that support your suitability for the role as outlined under the knowledge, skills and experience section. Please provide the name and contact details of at least two referees (at least one referee must have thorough knowledge of your conduct and performance within the previous two years).
To find out more about this vacancy contact the Human Resources on 07 4776 4767.
Hinchinbrook Shire Council is an equal opportunity employer. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and disadvantaged job seekers are encouraged to apply. Only people with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.
Apply For Job