13th May, 2022
Closes 5pm Monday 30 May 2022
Infrastructure and Utility Services
Ongoing Full Time Position (76 hours per fortnight)
Salary Band: $77,646 - $81,255 per annum
Just over an hour north of Townsville is the tropical paradise of Hinchinbrook. With Ingham at its center, the region is surrounded by rugged mountain ranges, giant waterfalls, the Great Barrier Reef, wild beaches and tropical islands. It’s a place where breathtaking scenery, unique wildlife, world-class fishing experiences, delicious, locally sourced food, inspirational art and 60,000 years of culture are all weaved into one incredible story: The Hinchinbrook Way.
About the Directorate
This role is established under the Infrastructure and Utility Services Directorate. This Directorate works with Council divisions and external stakeholders to drive strategic coordination, and the delivery of a complete range of services and infrastructure including water and sewerage, waste services, parks and gardens and asset management that is required to support the wellbeing and lifestyle of the community.
Purpose of Role
The Waste Services Team Leader is a key member of our team, integral to the successful operation of Council's waste facilities. You will drive day-today operations of Council's waste facilities, including the supervision and mentoring of on-site staff members.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Leading and mentoring landfill and resource recovery centre staff;
- Under the direction of the Waste and Compliance Coordinator, coordinate implementation of capital improvement and maintenance activities across all sites including cell construction, capping, internal roads, firebreaks, fence lines, bund walls, mowing, drains, weighbridge calibration, and leachate storage;
- Coordinate contractors to manage and achieve Council’s requirements for the effective and economic operations across all sites;
- Prepare recycling materials for site removal in accordance with the nominated requirements specific to each material;
- Monitor and manage Council’s on-site compliance against the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011, the Environmental Protection Act 1994 and relevant conditions of the Environmental Authority; and
- Exercise judgement to make decisions governed by the application of policies, procedures and regulations.
We are seeking applicants who, within the context of the key accountabilities detailed above, possess the following
Mandatory/Special Conditions/Other Requirements
- Proven ability to lead a small team of field staff and contractors to achieve desired results;
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of waste management within a local government context with previous experience in landfill, recycling operations and maintenance highly regarded;
- Sound knowledge, or the ability to gain such knowledge, of statutory requirements of various acts and regulations relevant to the position and solid understanding and experience in risk assessment of projects, activities and tasks;
- Sound computer literacy including the use of MS office, spreadsheets and databases is required. Experience in the use of the Mandalay software will be highly regarded;
- Demonstrated experience in contributing to Workplace Health and Safety, as well as environmental protection requirements with hazardous material awareness in a waste environment highly regarded;
- Sound interpersonal skills with the proven ability to build positive working relationships with peers and members of the public as required; and
- Proven ability and willingness to successfully manage multiple demands within the required timeframe.
The following mandatory Requirements, special conditions and/or other requirements apply to this role:
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- 'C' Class Licence or greater;
- Hepatitis A/B and Tetanus vaccination (or willingness to attain);
- Construction White Card, or willingness to obtain;
- License – current Loader operating ticket;
- License – current Dozer ticket; and
- License - Excavator ticket.
The position will require the employee to carry out physical tasks which may include manual handling, repetitive bending, kneeling, twisting and/or squatting, lifting, working in confined spaces, and working at heights.
Work Environment - Indoor and Outdoor based.
How to Apply
To submit your application – Please click 'Apply For Job' and follow the steps to submit your application. Please ensure you provide a resume and cover letter outlining your relevant experience, achievements and motivation for applying for this position that support your suitability for the role as outlined under the knowledge, skills and experience section. Please provide the name and contact details of at least two referees (at least one referee must have thorough knowledge of your conduct and performance within the previous two years).
To find out more about this vacancy contact the Human Resources on 07 4776 4767.
Hinchinbrook Shire Council is an equal opportunity employer. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and disadvantaged job seekers are encouraged to apply. Only people with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.
Apply For Job