14th October, 2021
❖ Engineering is the future of medicine
The Aikenhead Centre for Medical Discovery (ACMD) is Australia’s first fully collaborative and nationally focussed centre bringing engineering and medicine together on a hospital campus.
Reporting to the CEO of the St. Vincent’s Foundation, the Campaign Director will manage the roll-out of a $40m capital campaign which will ensure the completion of the Centre. It has already attracted more than $180m in investment from Government and partners, including funding for both the building and for its fit-out.
You are a seasoned fundraiser with vast networks in philanthropy and business, plus a record of securing multi-million dollar gifts. Your exceptional prowess in donor engagement is demonstrated in an ability to relate to researchers, academics, clinicians and partners who are committed to the success of the ACMD.
The Organisation and Mission
St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne (SVHM) is a leading teaching, research and tertiary health service, which employs more than 6,500 staff across 18 sites throughout Melbourne.
Part of Australia's largest not-for-profit Catholic health and aged care network, St Vincent's Health Australia, SVHM provides a diverse range of adult clinical services including acute medical and surgical services, sub-acute care, medical diagnostics, rehabilitation, allied health, mental health, palliative care, correctional health and community residential care.
SVHM's mission is to provide high quality and efficient health services to the people of Victoria in accordance with the philosophy of St Vincent’s Health Australia. This mission is based on the values of compassion, justice, integrity and excellence.
Local Work Environment
The St Vincent’s Foundation raises awareness and funds for all of the St Vincent’s entities across Victoria including the Public Hospital Melbourne and the Private Hospital network.
The ACMD (Aikenhead Centre for Medical Discovery) is a collaborative centre bringing engineering and medicine together for the first time on a hospital campus and is one of a number of high profile research facilities owned by St Vincent’s Health Australia nationally.
Based on the Fitzroy campus this new 210 million dollar build will enable the nine partner organisations to collaborate and develop medical implantables and devices. These devices and discoveries will improve the lives of people around Australia and worldwide. Health focus areas include chronic diseases such as epilepsy, osteo arthritis and cancer. The new Centre will be completed in 2025
The ACMD Capital Campaign Director will manage the roll out of a 40 million capital campaign which will ensure the completion of the Centre which has already attracted over 180 million in investment from Government and partners. This includes funding for both the building and for the fit out.
The case for support and marketing campaign for the project has been running since early 2020 A naming rights prospectus is in place with naming rights agreed by the SVHA Board.
A core group of donors and trustees have been identified as prospects for the funding of the building and initial approaches have been made. Whilst activity has been slowed by Covid lockdown in 20/21 the Campaign Director will benefit from a solid foundation to take the project forward to a successful completion.
Close engagement with the ACMD Philanthropy Advisory Council, the ACMD Board along with the high profile ACMD National Assembly to cement networks and encourage peer to peer fundraising is central to the role.
- Oversee and further develop the ACMD donor marketing and communications strategy in collaboration with the St Vincent’s Communication team.
- Work closely with the ACMD Philanthropy Advisory Council to expand Council membership and donor networks.
- Develop an event strategy that will enable face to face networking in a Covid safe manner, this includes interstate events. Events are supported by the Foundation Event Manager and the wider team.
- Focus on close communication and further relationship building with donors , trustees and other high net worth individuals who are identified as ACMD donor prospects to solicit their gifts.
- Work with the Foundation Corporate and Community Manager to develop sponsorship partnerships to attract funding for the new building.
- Liaise with the Trust and Foundation team to ensure applications are made to relevant organisations
- Work with the Foundation CEO to engage the National Assembly
- Attend and provide monthly progress reports to ACMD Board meetings
Health and Safety
- Perform the duties of the position to the best of their ability and to a standard acceptable to SVHM
- Comply with and ensure all those in the area they manage, adhere with all SVHM requirements, policies, procedures, by laws and directions
- Ensure all those in the area they manage, only access confidential information held by SVHM when this is necessary for business purposes, maintaining the confidentiality of that information once accessed
- Display adaptability and flexibility to meet the changing operational needs of the business
- Maintain skills and knowledge necessary to safely and skilfully undertake duties
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and safety of work performed
- Recognise the relationship between clinical and non-clinical functions in the achievement of optimal safety and quality care
- Take all necessary care and precautions in the performance of duties
- Participate in risk management and continuous quality improvement activities as part of day-to-day work
Human Resource Management
- Ensure all health and safety related policies, procedures and directions are complied with in the area they manage
- Report incidents and accidents and collaborate with management to resolve safety issues
- Ensure all in the area they manage undertake annual Fire and Emergency Training and comply with fire and emergency procedures
- Ensure all those in the area they manage, treat others with respect, behaving professionally and in accordance with the SVHM Code of Conduct and undertaking annual Workplace Culture and Equity Training
- Conduct regular safety audits with Health and Safety Representatives and implement required improvements
- Minimise WorkCover costs by actively assisting the return to work of any employee injured in the area they manage.
- As required, comply with fit-testing and PPE requirements
- Ensure that workforce planning is regularly undertaken and implemented to provide for the ongoing resource needs of the area they manage.
- Ensure recruitment and working practices comply with applicable Enterprise Bargaining Agreement and cost effectively support delivery of quality service.
- Ensure new employees are properly inducted to their local work environment and attend the General Hospital Orientation program.
- Ensure all those who work in the area managed, undertake an annual performance review and are developed to reach their full potential.
- Maintain skills and knowledge necessary to safely and skilfully undertake duties.
- Ensure leave is rostered fairly and that employees in the area managed, regularly take leave and do not accumulate excessive leave except where a plan is in place as to when that leave will be taken
- Actively manage individual and team performance to maximise performance and minimise workplace problems and conflict
- Continuously seek individual and team improvement and take responsibility for the introduction of any changes required to bring about such improvements
INCUMBENT CAPABILITY REQUIREMENTS (Level 3)
- Participate in the development of the annual budget allocation for the area managed
- Monitor EFT and expenditure to ensure spending remains within budget allocation
- Ensure decision making remains within delegated authority
The incumbent of this position will be expected to possess the following core capabilities:Personal Personal effectiveness
Demonstrated behaviour :
Sets and measures team goals, driving pursuit of higher standards of practice Learning Agility
Demonstrated behaviour :
Responds to new and complex situations by adjusting behaviour appropriately Outcomes Patient/Resident centred
Demonstrated behaviour :
Monitors satisfaction levels and proactively addresses issues Innovation and Improvement
Demonstrated behaviour :
Anticipates problems and continuously improves systems and processes Strategy Driving Results Demonstrated behaviour :
Takes ownership for performance of team results Organisational Acumen
Demonstrated behaviour :
Uses information and organisational knowledge to make decisions and achieve results People Working with and Managing others Demonstrated behaviour :
Leads others and shares responsibilities, providing support and effective communication Collaboration Demonstrated behaviour :
Operates Cross functionally and develops constructive relationships across the organisation
Other Essential Requirements
- Extensive fundraising experience with a focus on major donor engagement and procurement of major gifts.
- Proven ability to raise funds for a major multi million dollar campaign or capital project
- Experience working with high level boards and committees.
- Ability to lead and shape event and marketing program
Other Non Essential Requirements
- Minimum 10 years fundraising experience
- Existing networks in philanthropy and business
- Proven track record of solicitation of multimillion dollar gifts.
- Ability to extend and develop strategy for donor engagement
Apply For Job
- Interest in medicine and in medical research
- Broader engagement in the community through interest in the arts or sport
- Proven interest in constant improvement in fundraising practise.