wastewater treatment plant equipment and machines to purify and clarify water for human consumption
Job Title: Water/Wastewater Plant Operator Level 2
Location: Hunter Army Air Field, Savannah GA and Fort Stewart, GA
Reports To: Lead Water/Wastewater Plant Operator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Full-Time
Hunter Army Airfield, Savannah, GA and Fort Stewart, GA
Water Operator – all dayshifts – 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM Works weekends and Holidays.
This position is responsible for controlling wastewater treatment plant equipment and machines to purify and clarify water for human consumption/industrial use and/or managing water systems including testing and managing/repairing systems at Ft. Stewart and Hunter AAF.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Water Operator:
o Operates and controls electric motors, pumps, and valves to regulate flow of raw water into treating plant.
o Adjusts automatic devices that admit specified amounts of chemicals into tanks to disinfect, deodorize, and clarify water.
o Records data, such as residual content of chemicals, water turbidity, and water pressure.
o Uses chemicals such a chlorine, ammonia, and lime in the course of operations.
o Adjusts automatic devised that admit specified amounts of chemicals into tanks to
disinfect, deodorize, and clarify water.
o Starts agitators to mix chemicals and allows impurities to settle to bottom of tank, turns valves to regulate water through filter beds to remove impurities, pump purified water.
o Responsible for operations and maintenance of swimming pools and hot tubs.
o Performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Wastewater Plant Operator:
o Operates sewage treatment, sledge processing, and disposal equipment in wastewater
(sewage) treatment plant to control flow and processing of sewage.
o Monitors control panels, and adjusts valves and gates manually or by remote control to regulate flow of sewage.
o Observes variations in operating conditions and interprets meter and gauge readings, and tests results to determine load requirements.
o Starts and stops pumps, engines and generators to control flow of raw sewage through filtering, settling, aeration and sludge digestion processes.
o Maintains log of operations and records meter and gas readings.
o May collect sewage sample, using dipper or bottle and conduct laboratory tests using
testing equipment, such as colorimeter.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Minimum requirements for this position include a High School Diploma or equivalent GED plus a minimum of three (3) years’ water and/or wastewater operations experience.
• For Water Operations: Must possess a Class II or higher Water Operator License issued by the State of Georgia.
• For Wastewater Operations: Must possess a Class II or higher Wastewater Operator License issued by the State of Georgia.
• If the Responsible Charge Operator for Wastewater: Must possess a Class I or higher
Wastewater License issued by the State of Georgia.
• For Pool Operators: Must have proper certification through the National Swimming Pool
Foundation (NSFP) as a Certified Pool Operator (CPO) or Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO).
• Must be able to obtain security clearance for use of government computer.
• A valid Georgia Driver’s License and ability to maintain military gate pass access are required.