13th May, 2022
Closes 5pm Monday 30 May 2022
Infrastructure and Utility Services
2 x Ongoing Full Time Position, 1 x Fixed Term Full Time (until 30 November 2022)
Salary Band: $53,288.00 - $54,299.00 per annum
Just over an hour north of Townsville is the tropical paradise of Hinchinbrook. With Ingham at its center, the region is surrounded by rugged mountain ranges, giant waterfalls, the Great Barrier Reef, wild beaches and tropical islands. It’s a place where breathtaking scenery, unique wildlife, world-class fishing experiences, delicious, locally sourced food, inspirational art and 60,000 years of culture are all weaved into one incredible story: The Hinchinbrook Way.
About the Directorate
This role is established under the Infrastructure and Utility Services Directorate. This Directorate works with Council divisions and external stakeholders to drive strategic coordination, and the delivery of a complete range of services and infrastructure including water and sewerage, waste services, parks and gardens and asset management that is required to support the wellbeing and lifestyle of the community.
Purpose of Role
Hinchinbrook Shire Council is currently seeking to appoint several skilled operators across the Works Department to support Council operations predominantly in the reactive and scheduled maintenance areas.
The positions will be responsible for operating a range of plant and equipment associated with the maintenance and construction of roads, transport, and drainage assets and providing labouring assistance to the team as and when required.
The positions are responsible for working autonomously and with other works teams to deliver the Councils program of works.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Undertake plant operation and/or labouring tasks associated with maintenance and construction of roads, transport and drainage infrastructure including but not limited to, earthworks, pipe laying, bitumen, concrete structure preparation, drainage, and vegetation work;
- Undertake works autonomously or with other work groups as required;
- Demonstrate competency in the operation of dynamic load shifting plant and equipment including but not limited to Roller, Loader, Backhoe and Skid Steer;
- Ensure daily maintenance and pre-start checks of assigned plant are completed; and
- Ensure controls are in place to manage vehicular and pedestrian traffic on and around the work site.
We are seeking applicants who, within the context of the key accountabilities detailed above, possess the following:
Mandatory/Special Conditions/Other Requirements
- Experience in similar role i.e. Road maintenance or Civil Construction (Infrastructure);
- Knowledge and experience in basic general maintenance; and
- Ability and willingness to undertake labouring duties as directed.
The following mandatory requirements, special conditions and/or other requirements apply to this role:
Desirable (will vary depending on the specific role requirements):
- Construction White Card (mandatory);
- Certificate III in Civil Construction (Road Construction & Maintenance) or willingness to obtain would be advantageous;
- HR/HC Licence highly desirable, or willingness to obtain;
- MR Class Licence or greater (mandatory);
- Licence - current Roller operating ticket; and
- Licence - current Loader operating ticket.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Experience leading small teams;
- Proven history of working within the community;
- Licence - current Backhoe operating ticket; and
- Licence - current Skid Steer ticket.
This position exercises an appropriate level of skills and knowledge to safely and competently carry out strenuous labouring and manual handling type activities and to complete assigned tasks associated with Councils Infrastructure Operations to recognised industry quality standards.
The incumbent will be required to perform as a dynamic team member and will be expected to partake and assist in works within both the construction and maintenance functions of the department.
How to Apply
To submit your application – Please click 'Apply For Job' and follow the steps to submit your application. Please ensure you provide a resume and cover letter outlining your relevant experience, achievements and motivation for applying for this position that support your suitability for the role as outlined under the knowledge, skills and experience section. Please provide the name and contact details of at least two referees (at least one referee must have thorough knowledge of your conduct and performance within the previous two years).
To find out more about this vacancy contact Human Resources on 07 4776 4767.
Hinchinbrook Shire Council is an equal opportunity employer. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and disadvantaged job seekers are encouraged to apply. Only people with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.
Apply For Job