26th July, 2022
Location: New York City, NY (Hybrid 3 days per week in the office 2 from home)
About the Client
Our client is the world’s largest alternative asset manager. They seek to create positive economic impact and long-term value for investors, the companies they invest in, and the communities in which they work. Our client does this by using extraordinary people and flexible capital to help companies solve problems. Their $731 billion in assets under management include investment vehicles focused on private equity, real estate, public debt and equity, infrastructure, life sciences, growth equity, opportunistic, non-investment grade credit, real assets and secondary funds, all on a global basis.
Job Description & Synthesis
Our client's internal audit team provides independent and objective assurance to the Board of Directors and Executive Management by evaluating that the businesses across the global platform are well governed, operating effectively and meeting risk management objectives. The IA team is guided by a philosophy of adding intrinsic value by improving the operations of the Firm and protecting its reputation. The team works collaboratively with client senior leadership to understand the requisite risks and to evaluate and contribute to effective governance, internal control, and risk management. The IA team has a global footprint of exceptionally talented people, with diverse professional backgrounds, and works in a highly collaborative manner.
Apply For Job
Internal Audit's four primary areas of responsibility include:
- Internal Audit – As part of its approved annual global audit plan, IA performs business unit, enterprise, technology and jurisdictional reviews. As part of these reviews, IA assesses the design and operating effectiveness of controls supporting the businesses.
- Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance – IA facilitates the project management, quality assurance and oversight of internal control testing related to financial reporting and compliance for the SOX Compliance program.
- Advisory – Collaborate with senior management to gain insight on the Firm’s strategic, operational, financial and compliance initiatives.
- Enterprise Risk Monitoring – Assess risks and controls related to business imperatives, such as launching new products, implementing new technologies or remediating control issues.
The Internal Audit Associate will be involved in all core activities undertaken by IA including annual risk assessment, assurance and advisory activities, including audit planning and execution, and contributing to department wide strategic initiatives. IA’s remit spans across all areas of the Firm, including the business strategy teams who are responsible for investment and asset management; corporate functions such as Human Resources, Finance and Compliance; as well as the regional entities across EMEA and APAC.
Specific responsibilities of the role include:
- Perform risk-based audits across global platforms and gain exposure to the firm’s diverse businesses, products, regions, and enterprise functions
- Perform testing, document test results, identify findings as applicable, and work with internal staff to design corrective actions that mitigate risk, drive efficiency and add value
- Assist in writing reports to management to communicate the results of the work performed, recommend management action plans, and validate completion of action plans
- Engage in SOX planning and control evaluation discussions with management and external auditors and perform quality assurance reviews of testing results
- Provide advisory services during the development of new businesses, design of new processes and implementation of systems
- Develop ongoing working relationships within the firm, communicate ways to improve controls and understand new firm wide initiatives in the pipeline
- Assist in the annual risk assessment process and contribute to the formation of the annual audit plan through direct input, insight and perspective around current business, industry and regulatory risk factors
- Aid in the development and management of the internal audit risk assessment framework, including the ongoing management of risk registers and control libraries within the firm’s Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) application
- Participate in firm and industry events that will enhance your skills and expand your knowledge of the alternative asset management field
- Performing investigations, special reviews and other ad hoc projects
IA seeks to attract and develop best-in-class talent from diverse professional backgrounds including finance, technology, risk management, operations, and compliance. Successful professionals should demonstrate a strong understanding of the asset management business and a history of cultivating strong working relationships with business partners through the delivery of impactful services focused on strengthening the risk and control environment. The small size of this group offers an opportunity to gain significant exposure across the platform.
The ideal candidate will require adaptability, intellectual curiosity, strong judgment, and superior problem-solving skills to successfully navigate the complexities associated with evaluating risk across various business units and enterprise-wide functions. In addition, the successful candidate should have:
- 3-6 years of auditing experience in the financial services industry
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting, finance, economics, computer science or business-related field
- Personal and professional integrity of the highest order
- Aptitude towards investment and risk management, scenario analysis and problem solving
- Strong project management, organizational and presentation skills
- Excellent communication (verbal, written & listening) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think critically and strategically to develop innovative recommendations to mitigate risks and add value to the organization
- Proficient understanding of current regulatory and industry events
- Experience with internal audit risk assessments, SOX/Internal controls and/or ERP security and control review
- Ability to adapt to new challenges in a dynamic and fast-paced environment while handling multiple projects
- Ability to work well within a team-oriented environment and individually
- Ability to partner across teams, summarize issues, develop recommendations, and make decisions
- Ability to be proactive and take initiative
- An energetic and enthusiastic approach to the role
- Experience with Governance, Risk & Compliance technology tools & Tableau
- Alternative investments experience strongly preferred
- MBA, CA, CIA, CFA or CISA credentials strongly preferred