Internal Audit’s mission is to provide independent and objective assurance and advisory services guided by a philosophy of adding value to improve the operations of our client, its subsidiaries, and affiliated entities. Internal Audit assists the company in accomplishing their objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of governance, risk management, and internal control while furthering staff development and providing career growth opportunities.
The Second Vice President Internal Audit, Information Technology & Data Analytics role is a strategic leadership position reporting to the Chief Audit Executive. This role requires a highly experienced and goal-oriented internal audit management professional with a demonstrated track record of results; someone who is proficient in assessing, reporting, and advising on key operations and technology risks with a focus towards improving the risk and control environment. You will have proven expertise in driving efficiency and productivity through disciplined evaluation and implementation of process improvements, and building strong relationships and collaborating with senior management in the business and functional areas is essential to this role. In this role, you will function as the key contact between Internal Audit and senior management from our Information Technology (IT), Digital & Enabling Technology (DET), and Digital to Consumer (DTC) organizations.
In this role you will be accountable for the performance of our Internal Audit teams focused on our IT, DET, and DTC organizations, and you will provide leadership to the teams where needed. You will deliver high quality, value-add assurance and advisory services that identify, evaluate, and report on complex operations and technology risks and controls while ensuring proper planning, execution, and communication. As such, you will plan and direct assurance and advisory coverage over core IT disciplines (business technology, technology operations, architecture and engineering, infrastructure, information security, and cybersecurity), digital and emerging technology landscape, and DTC business operations. You will also advance the functional capabilities of our Internal Audit teams and leverage external subject matter resources as necessary to successfully execute complex operational and technology audits.
You will lead Internal Audit's Data Analytics program including the design, development, deployment, and maintenance of data analytics, automation, and continuous auditing routines to enhance the coverage, efficiency, and value of audit activities.
Audit Leader for Information Technology, Digital & Enabling Technology and Digital to Consumer
- Serve as the Internal Audit liaison and strategic partner to the IT, DET, and DTC organizations, which includes establishing and maintaining relationships with senior management and representing Internal Audit in applicable councils, committees, and meetings.
- Lead and manage the Internal Audit annual risk assessment process, as well as ongoing risk evaluation, for the IT, DET, and DTC organizations.
- Develop, plan, and oversee the annual audit plan for the IT, DET, and DTC organizations.
- Provide leadership, direction, and support to managers and auditors on all assurance and advisory projects in accordance with leading practices, established methodologies, and professional standards.
- Ensure audit reports are clear and concise and effectively communicate observations and opportunities for improvement.
- Monitor and demonstrate compliance with departmental policies and practices, as evidenced by strong quality assurance results, and strong performance within standards and related metrics.
- Complete and support an annual audit opinion on the IT, DET, and DTC organizations.
- Continuously develop and maintain strong digital and information technology expertise. Stay abreast of new and emerging risks as well as key changes in people, processes, and technology throughout the IT, DET, and DTC organizations.
- Demonstrate strong influencing skills when communicating with senior management enabling senior management to proactively manage risk.
- Monitor all outstanding recommendations and action plans.
- Provide governance, compliance, and investigation support when needed.
- Work with Internal Audit leadership and management to continuously improve departmental policies and procedures beyond scope of direct responsibilities.
- Stay abreast of current issues, standard industry practices, regulations, and obtain continuing education and training.
Data Analytics Program Leader
- Lead and direct the Data Analytics program for Internal Audit, with accountability for the planning, execution, and reporting of data analytics, automation, and continuous auditing activities and projects.
- Lead the advancement of data analytics, automation, and continuous auditing to automate tasks, expand audit coverage, enhance audit effectiveness, and support Internal Audit talent growth and development.
- Develop, leverage, and maintain key relationships across the Company, particularly with Analytics/Data Science, Automation & Artificial Intelligence, and Risk & Compliance teams.
- Act as a champion and mentor within the department to foster an effective, high-performing culture focused on next-generation skills sets (i.e. data-centric analysis and automation).
- Drive the integration of data analytics into Internal Audit projects.
- Partner with the business and functional areas to build repeatable processes around gaining access to all required data necessary to support data analytics efforts regarding annual risk assessments, audits, advisory projects, and investigations.
- Enhance departmental and audit project reporting by incorporating relevant data profiling and visualizations.
- Develop and implement solutions that support continuous auditing of key business and IT processes and controls.
- Develop and maintain continuous auditing solutions, scripts, queries, and related documentation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal audit standards and leading practices.
- Experience in the insurance or financial services industry is strongly desired.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in IT internal audit, IT external audit and/or IT-related functions.
- Proven ability to discuss technical issues in general business language.
- Experience in auditing cloud environments and digital technology and processes.
- Expertise with IT risk assessment tools and methodologies and conducting IT risk assessments.
- Experience in data extraction and analysis or data science.
- Familiarity with analyzing large sets of data from multiple sources.
- Familiarity with scripting/programming for data mining and modeling.
- Proficient in database & extract-transform-load (ETL) concepts.
- Proven ability to develop the data analytics capabilities of others.
- Familiarity with data analytics, visualization, and reporting software such as TeamMate Analytics, ACL, and Tableau.
- Familiarity with open source programming languages and automation software solutions such as Python and UiPath.
- Client-focused strategic thinker with disciplined execution.
- Highly motivated self-starter who works effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build effective relationships and clearly articulate thoughts and ideas.
- Collaborate with others, both inside and outside the department, while working toward common goals and fostering understanding and agreement.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Innovative; thinks outside the box.
- Strong organizational and project management skills to manage concurrent projects, drive performance, and meet deadlines.
- Critical thinker with effective influencing and leadership abilities.
- Multi-task and quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. A Statistics, Information Systems, Computer Science, or other IT-related degree is a strong plus.
- Professional certifications (CIA, CISA, CPA, CFE) attained or in progress.
- Data analytics and big data certifications attained or in progress are preferred.