29th July, 2020
Schlam makes mining equipment more productive by solving the payload and maintenance challenges that keep mines from being better tomorrow than they were today. We started in 1996 as a problem-solving engineering business. Today, we provide payload solutions to mines on six continents and out maintenance people are high achievers in every discipline
The role will be a trusted advisor to the Board, Chief Executive Officer and the General Managers’ of the Business Units at both strategic and operational levels. The position also leads the Schlam Group of Companies’ financial and commercial functions in providing timely financial information and advice to internal customers to support business decision making.
The Role will include but not limited to:
Governance, Compliance and Integrity
- Develop financial strategies, financial modelling and forecasts to support decision making.
- Manage cashflow with a focus on improving financial results and fuelling growth.
- Develop tools and provide analysis to enhance operational efficiency, quality and effectiveness.
Banks, Finance & Liquidity
- Overall responsibility for financial governance, systems and disciplines.
- Maintain currency on new governance, legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure the group complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Manage the group’s liquid assets, forecasting cash flow 6-12 months in advance.
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with the group’s bankers and financiers.
- Negotiate anticipated funding requirements 12 months in advance.
- Provide the appropriate reporting set by the finance institution. (adhere to covenants).
- Monitor foreign currency risk/exposure.
Financial Budgeting, Monitoring and Reporting
- Manage all physical assets in the group, stock, work in progress and fixed assets both tangible and intangible
- Ensure the accuracy of recording, accounting (methodology), depreciating, measuring and reporting of all assets controlled by the group (owned or leased)
- Ensure comprehensive capital expense (CAPEX) planning to cater for future growth
- Maintain current asset registers, asset replacement regime and depreciation strategies to allow for future growth
- Ensure the mitigation of risk around assets by implementing appropriate insurance policies.
- Develop reporting templates suitable for different stakeholders (Business Unit Managers, General managers, CEO, Board as well as External users)
- Develop and implement financial KPI’s and metrics to effectively monitor financial performance.
- Assist Company Accountants with technical, accounting and commercial advice.
- Review and scrutinise financial information prepared by the Company Accountants
- Develop and implement timing of different financial information to stakeholders (weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually)
- Prepare annual financial statements for audit, taxation and lodgement purposes.
- Provide high quality, proactive and commercially insightful analysis.
- Design and develop (and maintain) a business accounting (ERP) system that is fit for purpose across the group and for all levels of users.
- Monitor adherence to internal policies and procedures.
- Ensure the accuracy, completeness and integrity of all data in the ERP system
- Manage a “continuous improvement process” of the financial management platforms, services, systems, workflows and procedures.
- Support the Business Unit Managers in strategic procurement decision making.
- Prepare and execute major Procurement contracts.
- Monitor Procurement contracts to realise planned benefits.
- Implement and maintain the Groups’ (all companies) risk register(s)
- Develop and manage risk mitigation strategies, including Insurance, audits, or other methods etc
- Conduct commercial reviews of external Contracts (T&C’s)
- Review and advise to the contractual elements of the sales process
- Review and advise to the condition embedded in tender documents
- Assess, design and compile (as appropriate), Heads of Agreements/Memorandums of Understanding/Joint Ventures as well as Master Supply Agreements with clients
- Manage and maintain the Group’s intangible assets (patents, designs, know-how and trademarks)
Financial Capacity and Skills
- Provide input and assist the Board, CEO, General Managers and Business Unit Managers with strategic planning.
- Assist with the compilation of Strategic Plan and Business Plan documents.
- Assist the Board/CEO in the development of business cases for the acquisition of other businesses and/or venture into new products or markets.
To be effective in this role the successful applicant will possess the following skills:
- Build the competencies and proficiency of users, through competency training and coaching.
- Manage, coach and mentor Company Accountants and the finance team.
- Coach and mentor Business Unit Managers in the analysis, interpretation and use of Financial data and reports.
Previous Knowledge and Experience:
- Tertiary qualification in Accounting or similar field
- Suitable professional membership.
- Effective leadership and management skill to build high performing teams
- Proven Financial analytical skills
- Precise written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed organisational and planning skills
- High stakeholder management skills
Minimum 10 years senior management experience in the financial/commercial function in an engineering or related resources industry.
- Extensive financial knowledge and with a proficient level of experience in all aspects of accounting for a medium size company
- Familiar with Engineering, Mine Services and Manufacturing related business
- Experience with international trade, foreign currency and foreign trade practices.
- Experience and working knowledge of ERP systems
Our vision is to be on every mine in the world. To get there we need Superstars like you.
We encourage applications from people who believe they have what it takes, no matter what age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or perspective.
If you have what it takes and wish to apply for this role, please forward your resume, and a cover letter which explains why you would be a suitable candidate for this position to email@example.com or click APPLY NOW.
Apply For Job