25th November, 2021
We are a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs.
Cardno ID (International Development) has extensive experience managing a number of donor-funded programs in the Asia Pacific region. We engage in international development as a holistic, multidisciplinary and integrated process. Strengthened by our geographic and market diversity, we are committed to providing innovative and integrated solutions that create opportunities for significant, lasting change in emerging economies. Collaborating with multilateral and bilateral donors, private clients, governments and communities to develop sustainable solutions to complex challenges, we work with local counterparts to achieve meaningful impact.
Overview of the Role:
Prospera is seeking for a Senior Economist to lead Prospera’s Labour and Skills team, assisting the Government of Indonesia to achieve the goal of strong, inclusive, and sustainable growth through a competitive and inclusive labour market, responsive skills ecosystem, and with future-ready workforce. This will be achieved by providing sound evidence-based analysis in support of continued labour market reform and creating the right ecosystem for the upskilling and reskilling of Indonesia’s current and future workforce. In one of the world’s largest labour markets adapting to the changing nature of work, this role is an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of new policy development.
The Senior Economist (Labour and Skills Lead) will provide strategic direction, identify opportunities for, and manage the delivery of a complex work agenda, with capacity to manage a team. The successful candidate is someone with prior extensive experience advising senior government officials and supporting reform in public policy areas.
About the Program:
Prospera is a partnership facility between the Government of Australia (through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) and the Government of Indonesia. It aims to foster strong, sustainable and inclusive economic growth in Indonesia.
About the Role:
The Senior Economist will report to Head of Market & Competitiveness. The remuneration will be set according to DFAT’s Adviser Remuneration Framework Group C Job Level 4. The role is based in Jakarta- Indonesia (currently working from home).
Responsibilities and duties:
The key roles and responsibilities of the Senior Economist (Labour and Skills Team Lead) are as follow:
- Lead Prospera’s work on labour and skills development in Indonesia; this includes strategically designing, implementing, and monitoring Prospera’s work program and budget in the Labour and Skills Policy Area.
- Lead the work across a broad range of areas towards improved labour and skills policy, strategies, and initiatives that would contribute to more competitive, inclusive, and sustainable labour market and future-ready skills ecosystem, in collaboration with other relevant Teams at Prospera.
- Advise senior-level counterparts and Prospera senior management on relevant policy areas towards the same objective.
- Contribute to the development of counterpart capabilities in labour and skills policies.
- Enterprisingly and innovatively develop opportunities for Prospera engagement in line with Prospera’s objectives as well as counterpart commitments and reform considerations, including with the industry stakeholders.
- Management and oversight of all Labour and Skills team activities ranging from consultancies, policy research and advisory, to capacity building activities, amongst others, in terms of quality assurance, risk and reputational management, and time and Value for Money.
- Identify, review, and manage opportunities for incorporation of gender, equity and social inclusion considerations and activities into Prospera’s labour and skills work.
- Direction, guidance, supervision and performance management of Labour and Skills personnel, embedded technical advisers, short-term specialists, project officers and administrative support.
- Communicate Labour and Skills activities and outcomes, in support of Prospera’s communications, reporting and monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Manage opportunities for collaboration with relevant Australian Public Sector Agencies, other DFAT and Government of Australia (GOA) investments in support of both Prospera outcomes and broader GOA economic partnership objectives related to the Labour and Skills Policy area.
To access the Terms of Reference detailing the role, responsibilities and selection criteria for this position, please copy and paste this link into a web browser: https://www.cardno.com/media/8482/tor-senior-economist-labour-skills-lead-rev1.pdf
The candidate will possess strong qualifications and experience as follows:
- Advanced qualifications in economics, labour economics, labour policy, or related areas
- At least 10 years’ experience working in policy analysis and advisory, with proven track record in designing, conducting, and supervising research projects and in communicating the findings and recommendations to high-level government officials in Indonesia.
- Deep understanding of the Indonesian economy including its economic structure, trends, potentials and challenges and of the GOI policy making process and familiarity of government decision-making mechanisms.
- Strong managerial skills and experiences in practical planning, budgeting, and executing of complex policy change activities.
- Strong track record of project development, execution, and management, under tight deadlines and with multiple stakeholders.
- Performance and human resource management within a team with diverse skills and experience levels.
- Strong relationship management skills, particularly proven effective working relationships with senior government officials, consultants and experts, and industry stakeholders, and ability to operate effectively and sensitively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent communications skills in Bahasa Indonesia and English (verbal, written, and presentational).
- Proficiency in relevant software e.g. Excel, Stata, R, or SPSS.
- Familiarity with the Indonesian National Labour Force Survey (Sakernas) and RAND Indonesian Family Life Survey (IFLS).
How to apply?
We welcome your interest in joining the Prospera team. Please click 'apply' and submit your CV including a cover letter that addresses the selection criteria (no more than three pages for cover letter). Kindly note that applications that do not include a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria will not be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Cardno provides equal employment opportunities. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and abilities.
Applications must be submitted by 5pm Jakarta time, Sunday, 5 December 2021
Cardno is committed to Safety and the Prevention of Sexual Abuse, Exploitation and Harassment (PSEAH), Child Protection, Fraud and Bribery prevention. We want to engage with the right people to deliver our client programs. As part of our approach, you will be subjected to formal background screening, criminal record checks, employment verification, and periodic compliance checks. All Cardno staff receive safety, compliance and safeguards training and are responsible for contributing to a safer working culture.
Apply For Job