14th October, 2021
The Justice Services and Stability for Development (JSS4D) program is an Australian Government funded program to support the law and justice sector in Papua New Guinea (PNG).
The Government of Papua New Guinea (GoPNG) has identified law and order, combating corruption and reducing family and sexual violence as national development priorities. GoPNG’s strategic frameworks prioritise reducing crime and social unrest to achieve the vision of a ‘just, safe and secure society for all’ as the foundation for improving economic and social development.
Australia’s investments in the law and justice sector in PNG contribute individually and collaboratively to achieving the goal of private sector and human development in PNG being underpinned by a just, safe and secure society for all.
To meet this goal, Australia will continue efforts to strengthen national agencies across the sector to deliver law and justice services and increase its focus on working with communities and other stakeholders to promote justice and security outcomes in targeted locations within PNG.
The two sides of this goal are:
(a) Safer and more secure communities where people have greater access to better aligned effective legal services and community justice mechanisms; and
(b) More accountable, legitimate and responsive law and justice agencies contributing to a culture of legal compliance and enforcement.
White Paper Policy Review
Access to quality law and justice services has a direct impact on people across PNG, particularly women, children and other vulnerable groups.
Good governance, law and order and an enabling environment for inclusive and equitable growth contribute to the reduction of poverty and increasing economic and social development for all. Law and justice is one of the government’s development priorities aimed at providing a safe, secure and stable environment for all citizens, visitors, communities and businesses to conduct their affairs freely.
About the Role:
In collaboration with JSS4D and GoPNG’s Law and Justice Sector Secretariat, the Consultant will:
- Support a Policy Review Team made up of senior members of the law and justice sector and project advisors from JSS4D and the Australian Attorney-General’s Department, including arranging regular team meetings;
- Collate and distribute to team members the current legal and policy documents relevant to the White Paper review;
- Facilitate and organise calls for submissions on the White Paper review;
- Review and report on submissions to the White Paper review;
- Facilitate and organise consultations with key stakeholders across the sector at both national and sub-national levels, including women’s rights organisations and disabled people’s organisations;
- Record and report on consultations and focus group discussions for the updated White Paper.
- Development of an Advisor Work Plan (within 2 weeks of commencement).
- Regular reports on progress against the Work Plan to the Policy Review Team.
- Database of key documents to inform the White Paper review.
- Summary report on submissions to White Paper review.
- Database of key stakeholders to be consulted during White Paper review.
- Compile and consolidate reports from stakeholder workshops.
- Draft Presentations for Policy Review Team to the NCM.
Please copy and paste the following link to access the full terms of reference detailing responsibilities and key selection criteria: https://bit.ly/3BIQIix About You
You will have high-level interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to work effectively with a team and contribute to sustainable outcomes. Tertiary qualifications relevant to the technical content of this position is relevant and strong verbal and written communication with the ability to develop and maintain results-focused stakeholder relationships. You will possess a strong understanding and have at least 10 years’ experience of working with the law and justice sector in Papua New Guinea, including in legal policy development and report writing. Kindly note
this role is for PNG nationals based in Papua New Guinea. We encourage and welcome all applications from people of all backgrounds and abilities. How to Apply?
We welcome your interest in joining the JSS4D Program team. Please click 'apply' and submit or email your applications directly to: email@example.com
- Your CV including the contact details of at least two professional referees
- A covering letter responding directly to the essential Selection Criteria
Applications for this position close at 5.00pm, Sunday 14th November 2021
(Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea time). Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered by the selection panel. About Cardno
We are a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs. Cardno is committed to Safety and the Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH), Child Protection and bribery prevention. We want to engage with the right people to deliver our client programs. As part of our approach you will be subjected to formal background screening, criminal record checks, employment verification, and periodic compliance checks. All Cardno staff receive safety, compliance and safeguards training and are responsible for contributing to a safer working culture.
Apply For Job