09th September, 2021
North Macedonia aspires to be a prosperous, self-reliant, and inclusive democratic society. USAID SRMA (2021 – 2026) will assist North Macedonia’s government institutions to develop and independently manage the necessary administrative, fiscal, and policy changes foreseen in the Activity Plan of the SRMA Project. As part of overall TA package under Objective 1, USAID SRMA will provide technical assistance to the first cohort of Local Self Government Units (LSGUs) to increase own source revenues and diversify the revenue base under LSGUs’ discretion. The TA will work to enhance the effectiveness of tax and fee collection systems, while strengthening the operational capacity of local tax administration to improve accountability.
The consultant will identify best practices for the improvement of own source revenue collection (local taxes, fees and charges collection) in the region of South East Europe (countries derived from Former Yugoslavia and countries surrounding Republic of North Macedonia), as well as more broadly. Based on the identified best practices, the consultant will develop recommendations to improve the collection of own source revenue for LSGUs in Republic of North Macedonia as per the SRMA Work Plan under the:
Objective 1: Own source revenue increased:
- Activity 1.1.2: Identify and test best practices to improve local taxes, fees and charges collection in pilot LSGUs; develop recommendations for further tax, fees, and charges collection improvements.
- Objective and Scope of the engagement
The objective of this assignment is to enable the first cohort of North Macedonia partner LSGUs to increase their own source revenue base and collection rate, improve and update current tax, fees and charges (overall tax administration) system through diversifying and improving local taxes, fees and charges data base, as well as improving planning and increasing collection of own source revenues.
To provide support in achieving the above objectives and results, the consultant will implement the following tasks:
- Identify successful practices in the region of South East Europe (including the countries immediately adjacent to North Macedonia), and other countries with relevant examples that could be adapted and implemented in LSGUs in Republic of North Macedonia. The areas of focus for technical assistance will be improvement of own source revenue collection, in particular tax, fees and charges collection system (that includes but not limited to: property tax, fees and charges collection data base update; tax, fees and charges enforced collection; public awareness raisin campaigns; use of digital means/platforms; internal sectoral/department vertical and horizontal communication and information share; or any other activity).
- Based on the identified practices develop recommendations for own source revenue collection improvements for LSGUs in Republic of North Macedonia based on provided information about the status of own source collection in the country.
The consultant will report directly to Objective 1 Component Lead.
The consultant will provide the following outputs and deliverables:
- Report on identified successful practices (from South East Europe region and other international successful practices) regarding own source revenues collection (with special attention to property tax, fees and charges collection). Report should include detailed information about identified successful practices, country name, level of government regional or local in charge for own source revenue collection and if possible, contact information. Successful practice could include but not limited to: update of property tax, fees and charges data base; tax, fees and charges enforced collection; public awareness raisin campaigns; use of digital means/platforms for own source revenue collection; internal sectoral/departments vertical and horizontal communication and information share; eventually recent introduction of new local taxes and fees and/or any other similar activity undertaken by respective country/level of government to increase own source revenue collection.
- Recommendations for own source revenue collection improvements for LSGUs in Republic of North Macedonia based on provided information about the status of own source collection in the country.
The report should be developed in English. The consultant should be available to respond to the first round of comments and the final round of requests for the eventual report format change.
- Period of execution of activities
The engagement will be executed in the period October - November 2021.
- Master’s degree in finance, economics, law, public administration, or another related field, PhD would be considered an advantage.
Language: Other criteria:
- At least ten (10) years of professional experience in working in or with central and/or local authorities with a focus on municipal finance management and/or specifically with own source revenue collection.
- Extensive knowledge of overall municipal financial management.
- Proven ability to work with a tight schedule and deliver the services within the given time frame.
- Experience in working for international donors in similar projects.
: All works created under this aassignment, including creations, inventions, ideas, designs, copyrightable materials, trademarks, and other technology and rights, shall be works made for hire.
- Application procedure
To be considered, the interested applicant must submit the following documents:
The requested documents should be submitted to the following e-mail address: email@example.com no later than September 24, 2021 by 03:00 PM ET. Incomplete applications will not be considered for evaluation.
Apply For Job
- Cover letter,
- Comparable reference list with similar assignments with contact details of 3 references.
- The proposed gross daily rate in USD is inclusive of all costs