Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. (Cardno)
is seeking candidates for Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
for the anticipated USAID Papua New Guinea (PNG) Sustainable Landscapes opportunity. This program is anticipated to span five years and is currently valued at $10-25 Million. It seeks to address the drivers of deforestation and forest degradation, unsustainable forest and land management, the lack of data to inform forest and land management decisions, and the lack of participatory land use planning and livelihood opportunities for forest-dependent communities. Role
The Director of MEL is responsible for:
- Providing guidance and strategic direction in monitoring and evaluation, overseeing monitoring and evaluation activities, and contributing to program performance improvement;
- Leading development and implementation of the program’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Framework and Plan;
- Managing monitoring, evaluation and learning throughout the activity, to include providing technical assistance and training to staff to develop appropriate indicators to measure activity results;
- Writing analytical and technical reports that effectively communicate monitoring, evaluation, and learning program results;
- Developing custom indicators to measure results and outcomes in aggregate for similar interventions or approaches, and developing indicators and evaluation methods to assess performance across the activity portfolio;
- Ensuring systems and processes for continuous learning and adaptation within the activity are in place, and providing recommendations to changes in approaches, interventions, performance monitoring and/or work plans as necessary;
- Coordinating knowledge management and learning activities to support reporting of results and lessons learned and dissemination of programmatic impacts.
- Training project partners on data collection and processing to ensure data collected meets indicator needs and requirements;
- Working with the Manager of Operations and Finance to link project spending to progress on outcomes and intermediate results.
Required: Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field, such as environmental management, social science, community development or international development.
Required: A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible senior level experience monitoring programs of a similar nature and kind in a leadership role.
Preferred: 12+ years professional experience in areas listed above.
The MEL Director is a local position and therefore ineligible for USAID allowances.
- Demonstrated experience with managing monitoring, evaluation and learning systems for programs addressing forestry and/and natural resource management;
- Strong analytical skills and an understanding of a range of methods for participatory, ongoing and evidence-based learning;
- Experience with USAID MEL framework and presentations required. Monitoring and Evaluation experience with other donors such as DFAT, DfID, EU, etc. also highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to design and manage monitoring, evaluation and learning systems in dynamic operating environments;
- Experience training local program staff in monitoring and evaluation methods and systems;
- Familiarity with international development organizations’ policies and procedures, especially with USAID;
- Knowledge of and experience with gender-sensitive approaches to monitoring, evaluation, and learning;
- Skills and knowledge in strategic communications, social media, knowledge management, and learning approaches;
- Excellent English written and oral communications skills required.
- Experience in Papua New Guinea preferred.
>> << Equal Opportunity statement for U.S. based applicants:
Cardno has a longstanding policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com. Cardno
is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno's team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
Visit our website at www.cardno.com/internationaldevelopment - to learn more about Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd.