Cardno International Development implements the USAID Papua New Guinea (PNG) Biodiversity - Lukautim Graun
- Program (LGP) including funding from the PNG Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative. Capturing real time information and data on the progress of the program is critical to measure progress and adjust program direction. Cardno seeks a consultant to assist in customizing various CommCare apps to aid Cardno LGP team and the Implementing Partners in capturing real time data to increase the timeliness and accuracy of reporting, including quarter and annual progress reports. The successful specialist or consulting firm to support Cardno’s CommCare app development needs will have more than a cursory knowledge of CommCare. The successful specialist of consulting firm must have a thorough and complete knowledge of CommCare programming in order to respond to Cardno needs, including incorporating previous experiences of Cardno’s LGP implementing partners in field uses.
Cardno implements activities in the Bismark Forest Corridor (BCF) and across five (5) provinces including Madang, Morobe, Eastern Highlands, Chimbu and Jiwaka. CommCare app(s) are needed for field work including such activities as household surveys, focus group surveys, participatory mapping surveys, and capturing GIS coordinates for activities. The successful applicant will design a CommCare based mobile app developed that synchronizes field data with the CommCare HQ server in a central platform to house the data. The data will then be downloaded from the server and sent to the respective Implementing Partners or the LGP core team as needed.
The CommCare app Designer will provide strategic support to the GIS Data Lead and the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team to initially assess needs, then plan, design and test CommCare-based mobile applications for use by Cardno’s LGP team and its implementing partners in all project geographies. The resulting applications will support the Cardno’s LGP team to collect baseline data for Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL), Real Socio-Economic data collection and analysis, livelihoods development, and gender inclusivity promoting women’s economic empowerment. Tasks
Deliverables (to be confirmed during the assessment and plan phase):
- INITIAL ASSESSMENT: Work with Cardno to assess and clarify needs and produce a detailed TOR that ensures Cardno and the successful applicant are in agreement on the work.
- PLAN DEVELOPMENT AND APPROVAL: Develop a plan to address these needs that includes a timeline, key milestones, and final deliverables including at least three separate CommCare-based applications.
- TECHNICAL COMPONENTS: Work with the Cardno team to develop a modular approach that can later be modified by Cardno as needed, taking into consideration different questionnaires with different contextual settings in the field, needed CommCare app output results, varying complexity of questionnaires and other parameters that will be identified in the assessment phase of the work.
- OPERATIONAL TESTING: In cooperation with Cardno team members, conduct testing of all aspects each app developed to ensure functionality as per the objectives identified in the assessment and plan. This includes creating an easy user interface for use on specified platforms (tablet, mobile phone, etc.) and confirm data downloads to the CommCare HQ server and emailing the receipt notification to the LGP team members entering transferring data.
- TRAINING: Provide technical training to Cardno team members to ensure sufficient capacity is developed to deploy and effectively use the CommCare apps.
- DOCUMENTATION: Develop a standard operating procedure for each CommCare app.
- DELIVERY: Maintain professional and ethical standards at all times, including taking a do no harm approach to the implementation of all activities and ensuring a child-safe environment.
- Three CommCare applications to be used by the LGP project teams. The CommCare app must be finalized to the required specifications for the LGP teams to undertake field work and payment is based on acceptance by Cardno, represented by the Chief of Party.
- Standard Operating Procedures manual for all apps developed, specifically supporting teams carrying out field work.
- Electronic data download and upload protocols with notifications through email to the Implementing Partners and Cardno LGP Document Control mailboxes for tracking and verification purposes.
- Develop training package and support delivery for the LGP team with close consultation with Cardno LGP GIS Lead.
- Two-days of training at locations to be identified by Cardno that address specific instructions on the use of apps and expected outcomes.
NOTE: It is possible for this work to be carried out remotely and applicants will be considered who support this approach. Qualifications: Required Minimum Education:
Bachelor of Information Communication Technology (BICT) Required Experience:
At least 5+ years experience with CT mobile app development, communication and networking, programming, and training. Required Experience:
Deep knowledge of CommCare programming and app development. Knowledge and Skills:
Estimated Period of Performance:
- Direct experience working on mobile app development using CommCare platform
- Experience working as a mobile app developer for at least 5 years;
- An understanding of the context of work flow questionnaires to build into mobile apps.
- Experience in developing socio-economic app, livelihood app and monitoring and evaluation mobile app modules using different approaches; modular or single phase methods.
- Knowledge of technical writing and developing Standard Operating Procedures for ongoing work.
- Knowledge of undertaking Capacity building training for LGP team and the Implementing Partners
- Excellent conceptual, oral and written communication skills in English;
- Experience in Papua New Guinea a plus but not required.
March 1 – April 30, 2021 Estimated LoE:
Up to two months based on initial assessment of needs and task orders signed by the LGP Chief of Party
Estimated maximum of two months based on:
Equal Opportunity statement:
- 20 days for development of mobile apps (three mobile apps to be developed/week) including responses to regular feedback, testing and revisions, ad hoc meetings
- 5 days to set up and deploy
- 5 days documentation and training development kit for the three mobile apps.
- 10 days capacity building training to each sites under the guidance from LGP GIS Lead.
Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org . Cardno
is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno's team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
Visit our website at www.cardno.com/internationaldevelopment - to learn more about Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd.