The Lukautim Graun Program (LGP) in Papua New Guinea (PNG) is a 5-year USAID project aimed at strengthening biodiversity and conservation in 5 key provinces at the national, provincial, local government unities, and target communities. Cardno Emerging Markets (USA) is leading implementation with a cohort of partners: Care International (PNG), Wildlife Conservation Society (PNG), The Nature Conservancy, REAL Social Impact, and Tree Kangaroo Conservation Program. LGP is a blended program that intertwines biodiversity and conservation objectives with the Women’s Global Development and Prosperity (W-GDP) objectives.
In order to establish baselines to assess program progress, as well as changes in community perception and behaviors, a perception survey is needed to gather baseline information on socio-economic conditions, observations, views, and challenges faced by the local population in the target sites where activities are taking place.
LGP is looking for a Survey Specialist to lead the design, implementation, and analysis of this perception survey.
This is a short-term, technical assistance (STTA) assignment, estimated to start in March 2021. Ideally, the consultant will be based in Port Moresby, PNG, with possible travel to project site locations – or must have capability to operate remotely with the survey team on the ground if travel to PNG or within PNG is restricted. Travel to site locations in the 5 provinces is outlined/planned for scoping, testing, and survey implementation. Covid 19 precautions will be mandates for all travel and work including mandatory masks, hand sanitation, and physical distancing to the greatest extent possible. Travel proposed must include a Covid 19 exposure management plan. Responsibilities and Duties The Survey Specialist will/is:
Qualification and Skills
- Work closely with LGP’s MEL team to refine and develop the survey according to set priorities and aligned with the program’s indicators.
- Responsible for the overall design, testing, implementation, survey analysis, producing final report of survey results and supplemental results tables.
- Responsible for designing and implementing effective data collection methodologies and data analysis.
- Report to and collaborate with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor and MEL Director,
- Assist with selection of field data collectors/enumerators
- Train field data collectors/enumerators on data collection procedures
- Ensure accurate and timely data collection
- Develop draft and final Perception Survey Results reports, for review and approval MEL Advisor, MEL Director and LGP’s Chief of Party that include summary statistical analysis of results
- Post graduate qualifications in social science, international development, monitoring and evaluation, economics, or similar
- At least 5 years of experience in designing and implementing perception or other socio-economic surveys
- Experience in pulling together a team, training them on data collection techniques
- Experience in analyzing complex data and producing simple easy to read reports from it.
- Experience in working in the Pacific, particularly PNG, and understanding of social awareness needed to conduct surveys in an effective manner
- Ability to work and meet tight deadlines