14th January, 2021
The Government of Papua New Guinea (GoPNG) has identified law and order, combating corruption and reducing violence against women as national development priorities. PNG’s strategic frameworks prioritise reducing crime and social unrest as the foundation for improving economic and social development.
The GoPNG and the Government of Australia (GoA) (the Partners) have agreed to enter into a Comprehensive Strategic and Economic Partnership (CSEP) which aims to integrate development cooperation as an enabler of broader economic and strategic objectives, and which will centre on six pillars:
About the Program
- Strong democracies for a stable future;
- Close friends, enduring ties;
- Economic partnership for prosperity;
- Strategic cooperation for security and stability;
- Social and human development;
- Near neighbours, global partners
The Justice Services and Stability for Development (JSS4D)
program is an Australian Government funded program to support the law and justice sector in PNG.
Aligning with the CSEP, the JSS4D program will contribute to the GoPNG-GoA partnership goal of private sector development and human development in PNG, underpinned by a just, safe and secure society for all.
JSS4D provides targeted assistance to PNG’s law and justice agencies, provincial governments, the Autonomous Region of Bougainville and civil society groups. As endorsed by the GoPNG’s National Coordination Mechanism (NCM), the Design Update refocuses JSS4D into three outcome areas: national
and common priorities
of family and sexual violence (FSV) and anti-corruption. About the Role
The Prosecution Adviser (FSV) will focus on strengthening and broadening the sector’s response to FSV by:
- Building the capacity of PNG’s Office of the Public Prosecutor (OPP) through training, mentoring and coaching
- Attending court where required for the purpose of assisting or instructing OPP lawyers
- Providing strategic and operational advice and support to sector agencies on FSV related legislation, policies, approaches and strategies.
- Improving the OPP and Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary’s prosecution of Family and Sexual Violence.
- Ensure that the Program and all activities, deliver services on budget, and demonstrate value for money through the effective, efficient and economical use of program resources.
- Provide a contact point for the Australian High Commission on FSV related matters.
Please copy and paste the following link to access the full terms of reference detailing responsibilities and key selection criteria https://www.cardno.com/media/6831/jss4d-tor-prosecution-adviser-family-and-sexual-violence.pdf About you
You will have extensive and relevant prosecution experience, particularly in the areas of Family and Sexual Violence within the Melanesian context; extensive experience and a proven track record in complex legal issues; highly developed interactive skills; experience in ensuring the quality and timeliness of outputs.
Admission to practice as a legal practitioner in Australia, Papua New Guinea or an equivalent jurisdiction is essential, with extensive experience in prosecuting and/or dealing with general criminal offences. University degree in law, broad experience in the legal field, and a minimum of 10 years professional legal experience in the practice of criminal law
You will have excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills and work well within a team setting. How to apply
We welcome your interest in joining the JSS4D Program team. Please click 'apply' and submit:
- Your CV including the contact details of at least two professional referees
- A covering letter responding directly to the essential Selection Criteria
Applications for this position close at 11:59pm, Friday 5 February 2021
(Australian Eastern Standard Time). Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered by the selection panel. About Cardno
We are a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs. Cardno is committed to Safety and the Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH), Child Protection and bribery prevention. We want to engage with the right people to deliver our client programs. As part of our approach you will be subjected to formal background screening, criminal record checks, employment verification, and periodic compliance checks. All Cardno staff receive safety, compliance and safeguards training and are responsible for contributing to a safer working culture. Contact
For any questions about this role, please contact email@example.com quoting "Prosecution Adviser - Family and Sexual Violence" in the email subject line.
Apply For Job