13th October, 2020
The National Legal Advisor will support MCAE in drafting legislative policy options, public policies, laws, regulations and protocols in relation to economic reform.
Please copy paste this link to access the Terms of Reference detailing responsibilities and selection criteria:
You will be a motivated and proactive individual with expertise in law legal drafting and legal analysis, who has the right combination of talent, energy and a commitment to technical excellence. You will also have:
Skills and knowledge
- A tertiary qualification in law;
- Certificate from the Timor-Leste Centro de Formação Jurídica e Judiciária or a graduate degree in law or related area would be an advantage.
- At least five years’ experience undertaking legal drafting within the context of public administration in Timor-Leste, preferably in relation to economic development policy;
- Demonstrated experience in conducting legal analysis and presenting legal opinions;
- Demonstrated experience in legislation monitoring and evaluation in the public sector;
- Demonstrated research and analytical experience.
- Strong understanding of the Legislative Framework underpinning public administration in Timor-Leste;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships across high-level government operating units, to coordinate complex, policy-focused work, and to harmonise legislations/decree laws/regulations across Line Ministries, Secretary of States, and Autonomous Government Agencies;
- Well developed interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Bilingual English/Portuguese (Reading/Writing/Speaking);
- Proficiency in Tetun.
- Familiarity with the legal policy frameworks/legal treaties of international trade and the ASEAN and/or WTO accession processes;
- Familiarity with the legislation within the economic policy and trade environment in the region.
A competitive salary package will be offered to the successful candidate.
About the program
Cardno Emerging Markets supports the implementation of the Governance for Development (GfD) Program on behalf of the Australian Government.
The objective of the GfD program is to support the Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL) to achieve sustainable economic and human development as detailed in its Strategic Development Plan (SDP) 2011-2030. GfD supports the development of fiscal and economic frameworks that aim to deliver sustainable government finances, promote economic growth and meet social needs.
To achieve its development targets, Timor-Leste is striving to improve the performance of its government agencies. The core work under GfD is with central agencies to improve policy development and systems that are most important to economic management and service delivery. The key agencies that GfD supports are:
How to apply?
- Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) – Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (UPMA) and Economic Unit
- Civil Service Commission
- Presidency of the Council of Ministers (PCM)
- Ministry for the Coordination of Economic Affairs (MCAE)
- Selected Line Ministries and Autonomous Agencies, including AACTL, TIC Timor, SERVE, SEFOPE
We welcome your interest in joining the Cardno team. Click the "apply" button to submit your application online with the reference number GfD175 by Sunday 1 November 2020, 23:55pm. Your application must include the following:
- An updated and relevant CV, outlining relevant work history and experience.
- A letter of no more than two pages outlining your ability to fulfil the ToR.
- Names and contact details of at least two professional referees who can confirm qualifications and experience.
For any enquiries about this position, please contact email@example.com quoting "GfD175 – National Legal Adviser " in your email subject line.
We are a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs.
Apply For Job
Cardno is committed to Safety and the Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH), Child Protection and bribery prevention. We want to engage with the right people to deliver our client programs. As part of our approach you will be subjected to formal background screening, criminal record checks, employment verification, and periodic compliance checks. All Cardno staff receive safety, compliance and safeguards training and are responsible for contributing to a safer working culture.