11th April, 2019
Join Cardno in Papua New Guinea to play an integral role in developing and implementing an appropriate capacity building plan for PMSC Bougainville. The position may be based in the Consultant’s Buka or Arawa office. The role includes working closely with relevant stakeholders to improve effectiveness and work towards a safer, more reliable transport network with a strong private sector. The position will report to the PMSC Team Leader and work closely with the Secretary for Technical Services.
The primary role of the Capacity Building Specialist will be to assist the Secretary to develop and implement a capacity building programme for enhancing the knowledge and abilities of the Department of Technical Services (DTS), Bougainville-based engineering consultants and contractors, and, where appropriate, engineering staff of the Papua New Guinea Department of Works based in Bougainville to support a safer, more reliable transport network. The development of leadership skills to implement the learning will also be crucial.
Capacity development activities will consider needs of individuals and groups in both public and private sectors. A detailed joint workplan will be designed in partnership with DTS after undertaking a situational analysis. This analysis will identify the capacity gaps with the greatest impact and those which are able to be improved with input from the Specialist.
The Specialist will provide monthly reports to the PMSC Team Leader. It is anticipated that the workplan will be reviewed every six months with wider stakeholders and that each training activity would be properly documented.
The Specialist will use a variety of delivery methods to maximise the efficiency and sustainability of the capacity building. This may include workshops, on-job training, mentoring, and modelling.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
1. Assist key counterparts with:
- Understanding of the role and function of DTS
- Understanding the enabling legal and regulatory environment
- Strengthening understanding of the project management cycle and access to and use of forms/documentation
- Preparation and presentation of proposals for forward works and maintenance programmes for acceptance and funding
- Implementation of all new and upgrading or rehabilitation works, including design, construction and maintenance, through competitive outsourcing
- Fundamentals of successfully running a small business
- Terminology and structure of tender / contract documents
- Tendering for contracts in a competitive environment
- Evaluating tenders and awarding contracts
- Management of contracts to ensure costs are kept within budget, time limits are met and the specified quality and quantity of work is delivered
- Health and safety at work places, including road works, construction sites
- Increasing road safety through design and during construction
- Detection and prevention of fraud and corruption
- Increasing gender equality;
- Prevention and management of HIV and AIDS and awareness of specific issues of HIV/AIDS as they relate to the activities of DTS and contractors
- Prevention of child labour; and
- Incorporating environmental protection considerations in planning and implementation of infrastructure works.
2. Identify and consult with key individuals in the sector to identify the specific needs of their organisations, including:
- Develop or review their respective organisations’ plans and programmes for human development;
- Identify any impediments that may be preventing the individual from delivering to his or her capacity;
- Make recommendations for further education opportunities and on-job training or mentoring as appropriate for the individuals concerned;
- Ensure systems are in place to regularly monitor the progress of the individual and to the individuals’ on-going needs for training and / or mentoring.
You will be a motivated and proactive Capacity Building Specialist with the right combination of talent, energy and a commitment to technical excellence. You will also have:
How to apply
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience in road engineering
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience with supporting and developing small and medium sized contractors
- Experience in Bougainville, PNG or the Pacific
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in a similar role
- Excellent ICT skills, including Microsoft Office suite
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills, and a keen attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Flexible and innovative approach to delivering capacity building outcomes.
- Sensitivity to gender, HIV/AIDS, environmental and other safeguards issues and an understanding of, and ability to abide by, TSSP safeguards policies
We welcome your interest in joining the Cardno team. Apply by sending your resume and covering letter with the reference number "Capacity Building Specialist/ TSSP" to firstname.lastname@example.org
by Tuesday 30 April 2019. About Cardno
We are a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs.
Cardno is committed to Child Protection in all fields. Cardno is an equal opportunity employer. Any offer of employment will require criminal record clearance.
Apply For Job