22nd June, 2022
Policy Advisor - Influence and Advice
- Influence positive and meaningful policy for better outcomes for Pacific peoples
- Exposure to complex policy across government
- Collaborate and consult across significant programmes of work
We are looking for a Policy Advisor to join a high performing team to support, influence and advise on policy development for our Pacific people. Ideally, you will have some experience and understanding of the mechanics of New Zealand government, with intelligent curiosity and a commitment to support our collaborative work with other agencies, with a focus on Pacific well-being.
Our work is highly varied and spans multiple policy work programmes, providing very broad visibility across key portfolios – this is a meaningful and significant opportunity to grow your skills and expertise. Whether you are an experienced advisor looking to expand your Pacific capabilities or a recent graduate with relevant training and/or tertiary qualifications, what matters is your understanding of end-to-end policy process, ability to work collegially, and your drive to make a difference in the lives of Pacific peoples in Aotearoa. This is an exciting time to join us
The Ministry for Pacific Peoples makes a significant contribution towards improved outcomes for Pacific Peoples. We bring the Pacific voice, perspective and understanding into the fabric of New Zealand government. In our work, we are the guardians and the caretakers of Pacific knowledge, culture, and identity on behalf of all Pacific peoples, and we support and take stewardship over our Pacific families and communities in providing advice to government. We have a key role in supporting and leveraging opportunities for cross-government collaboration and better coordination of government’s investments in initiatives for Pacific peoples. What we look for in our Advisors:
To be successful you will bring:
- Experience or relevant training and/or qualifications that enable you to provide policy advice relating to a complex programmes of work
- Capability to support work programmes that align with the Ministry’s strategic direction for improved outcomes for Pacific well-being
- Understanding of New Zealand’s central government and how to navigate parliamentary forums and cross agency engagement
- Confident ability to establish and maintain strong external partnerships and a willingness to collaborate across government stakeholders to influence policy advice and identify policy opportunities for Pacific Peoples
- Ability to assist in the review of complex work programmes
Working for us
- policy knowledge and/or experience supporting policy teams in central government
- an understanding of Pacific populations including their social, economic, and cultural position across New Zealand, and the impacts on Pacific Peoples
- solid skills to share a policy vision with key stakeholders, both internal and external of the Ministry
- excellent written communication and verbal skills, with the ability to confidently communicate complex information succinctly
- solid research skills, including the ability to analyse, review, and draw insights from data
- Pacific cultural capability including an understanding of the lived experiences of Pacific peoples is highly desirable.
At the Ministry for Pacific Peoples, we offer attractive employment benefits including market salary, flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies. Whilst the work is challenging, you will be rewarded by contributing to positive outcomes with a focus on better outcomes for our Pacific People.
At the Ministry for Pacific Peoples, we recognise that diversity, inclusion, and accessibility is important to our business. We embrace the unique perspective and capabilities of our current and future employees, which will help us continue to drive innovation for our Pacific People and achieve our Lalanga Fou goals. Our culture enables us to create an environment of involvement, respect, and connection with the communities where we work - benefitting individual employees and our Pacific People across New Zealand.
If you would like more information, please email email@example.com quoting the position title in the subject. Applications will be reviewed throughout advertising, and we may reach out to you if further information is required.
Applications close on Friday 1 July 2022
Apply For Job