Cleans and assembles equipment and instruments; folds and assembles linen packs.
Essential Functions and Job Duties:
• Decontaminates scopes, cameras and equipment for department, following all manufacturer’s guidelines and OSHA Blood and Body Fluids guidelines.
o Inspects and dismantles and reassembles, if appropriate, prior to decontamination.
o Reports broken or damaged instruments and equipment.
o Provides decontamination and reprocessing for ancillary areas, such as Emergency Care Center, Maternal/Child Nursing Services, Diagnostic Radiology, and Heart Center.
• Responsible for instrument tray assembly and packaging of supplies.
o Includes sterile indicators in packages/trays.
o Provides accurate instrument count sheets when appropriate.
o Documents sterility dates accurately.
• Responsible for proper sterilization of instruments.
o Assesses proper sterilization methods and recommendations.
o Adheres to and documents biological testing.
• Stores and rotates supplies; cleans and restocks assigned areas.
o Maintains adequate inventory of reusable linen and basins.
o Assists all personnel in locating or delivering necessary instruments or supplies.
o Responsible for outdated supplies/instruments in assigned areas.
• Responsible for accurate preparation of case carts.
o Communicates items not pulled for procedure.
o Provides appropriate substitutes for items/supplies not available.
o Generates supply/pick list from computer.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of surgical instruments or procedures or medical supplies is helpful.
- Must be accurate and have good organizational skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Sterile Processing or Surgical Technician certification is required after two years of employment.
- Prior experience is preferred.