Collects, prepares and handles specimens for analysis from patients of all ages. Performs scientific work in the laboratory for a wide variety of laboratory procedure using both manual and automated methods.
Serves as a resource for Level I Med Tech and other lab staff.
1. Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or related Allied Health field required. Will also take a MLT with Associates for this need (ASCP Certification)
2. Registered MLS (ASCP)/MT (ASCP)/BS MT ASCP I/MT(NCA) required.
3. At least 4 years work experience as a MLS or equivelent.
4. Moderate physical effort.
1. Performs all technical skills required at the level of Medical Laboratory Scientist Il according to laboratory policy.
2. Operates hospital computer system acquiring necessary patient information to enter, delete or credit the patient account.
3. Follows all established departmental procedures.
4. Participates in continuing education and maintaining a level of skill and knowledge outlined by an accrediting agency.
5. Promotes good communication and interpersonal skills in accordance to laboratory policy.
6. Actively participates in competency assessment process.
7. Performs preventive and corrective maintenance and repairs on lab instrumentation. Calibrate instruments to assure accuracy.
8. Performs analytical and decision-making functions without direct supervision, recognizes unexpected results, and take necessary corrective action.
- Provides technical and analytic interpretive skills for Medical Laboratory Science I and supports educational activities for the Medical Laboratory Scientist I and peers in these skills.
Integrates and relates laboratory data generated by various sections in making judgments regarding possible discrepancies.
9. Assists in the preparation and presentation of teaching materials for the Laboratory department 10. May be asked to assist with evaluation and/or development of new test procedures, monitors them for unexpected problems or sources of error.
11. May be asked to assist in researching, reviewing and writing of technical procedures.
12. Assists in orientation/training of new employees as directed.
13. Obtains blood and body fluids from inpatients/outpatients of all ages as requested by authorized personnel.
14. Demonstrates knowledge and theory behind instrumentation. Operates all instrumentation in assigned areas and performs technical procedures.
15. Assures quality and timeliness of patient results, assists with investigation of any problems.
16. Recognizes unexpected results, error and problems with patient tests.
17. Maintains confidentiality of information regarding all patient testing/results as details in hospital policy.
18. Conserves hospital resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to perform job duties.
19. Assures compliance with all local, state, federal and national agencies.
20. Contributes by promptly greeting patients and offering assistance.
21. Reports to work on time and meets acceptable standards for attendance. Must be able to work assigned schedule including holidays and weekends.
22. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.