The Technician operates within Memorial Medical Center's Corporate, Hospital and Divisional and Departmental mission, philosophy, goals and objectives. Under the direct supervision of a Registered Professional Nurse or a Licensed Physician/Mid-Level provider, assists in the delivery of care to patients. Performs a variety of tasks which include, but are not limited to, obtaining vital signs, collecting blood, stool, urine and other samples from patients. These tasks and duties are performed in accordance with both the established values and policies and procedures of the Department and Medical Center. Embodies the Performance Excellence Standards of Safety, Courtesy, Quality, and Efficiency that support our mission, vision and values.
• High school diploma or GED required.
• One of the following required:
a. Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA);
b. Enrollment in nursing school with one (1) semester of clinical completed
c. Completion of Medical Assistant program;
d. Illinois Department of Public Health EMT (B, I, or P) certificate or National Registry EMT (NREMT)
e. Bachelor’s Degree completion with a focus on health sciences (Pre-med, biology, chemistry)
f. Completion of 6 months as a patient safety monitor within the ED
• Demonstration of the ability to perform adequate CPR with a current CPR card.
• Prior experience with patient care preferred
• Demonstration of the ability to write and/or print legibly and accurately.
• Successful completion of Unit-Based orientation and clinical guidelines.
Minimum Yearly Requirements to Maintain Current Position:
• Attendance at all mandatory in-services;
• Successful completion of all required unit specific training programs;
Principle Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Patient Care Services:
• Provides care to patients under the direction of a Registered Professional Nurse and/or Licensed
Physician according to Memorial Medical Center policies, procedures and standards of care:
a. Obtaining vital signs manually and with equipment
b. Performing an EKG
c. Performing phlebotomy on patients age 5 and above.
d. Perform sterile insertion of foley catheter as per physician order
e. Collecting stool, urine and other samples from patients
f. Fitting patients for crutches and orthopedic splinting supplies
g. Assisting providers with sterile procedures—before, during and after
h. Transporting patients in the department and to other departments
i. Dressing simple wounds with clean technique
j. Communicating with patients and their families
k. Performing an Initial Screening on low acuity patients
l. Assisting patients during the discharge process
m. Assists behaviorial health patients using de-escalation techniques
• Assists in the admission of patients, (i.e. placing patients in room, preparation of patient for examination, obtaining initial and/or repeat vital signs, and communicates any unusual circumstances to the Registered Professional Nurse and/or Licensed Physician).
• Maintains operating knowledge of both the Trauma and ACLS protocols
a. Assists in maintaining equipment, corrects equipment malfunctions and report malfunctions for repair.
b. Assists in providers in maintaining a sterile field during procedures.
c. Assists provider/nurse with rapid infuser setup, arterial line setup, chest tube placement, EVD placement
d. Maintains supplies of acute care carts (trauma, neuro, central line)
• Maintains appropriate documentation skills.
• Performs clerical functions (i.e. receives, opens and distributes mail; answers, places and routes telephone calls and pages utilizing appropriate communication skills and procedures; maintains appropriate level of clerical supplies; manages Radiology communication slips appropriately; processes completed ED patient record accurately, timely, and in appropriate manner; transmits records to attending physicians in accordance with Department policy and procedures).
• Communicates with Pre-Hospital personnel in accordance with Department policy and procedures utilizing appropriate communications equipment and logs.
• Understands and functions appropriately for all Medical Center and Department “Conditions”.
• Provides preceptor functions as directed by Manager and/or Supervisor.
• Maintains familiarization with location and operation of equipment and procedure manuals for Department.
• Practices appropriately for the safety of patients, (i.e., uses side rails appropriately, disposes of infectious waste appropriately, addresses spill appropriately and initiates incident reports as appropriate).
• Demonstrates professionalism (i.e., attends or reviews 75% of staff meetings minutes, documenting review with signature and date; actively pursues opportunity to increase knowledge within area of responsibility; maintain patient confidentiality; complies with professional appearance policy; presents at work on time and maintains satisfactory attendance in accordance with department Ill/Absent policy).
• Participates in collecting data for Quality Improvement activities, assists in identifying patient care problems for study and applies Quality Improvement findings to patient care.
2. Embodies the Performance Excellence Standards of Safety, Courtesy, Quality, and Efficiency that support our mission, vision and values:
• SAFETY: Prevent Harm - I put safety first in everything I do. I take action to ensure the safety of others.
• COURTESY: Serve Others - I treat others with dignity and respect. I project a professional image and positive attitude.
• QUALITY: Improve Outcomes - I continually advance my knowledge, skills and performance. I work with others to achieve superior results.
• EFFICIENCY: Reduce Waste - I use time and resources wisely. I prevent defects and delays.
3. Performs other related work as required or requested.