PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Promotes an environment of respect and compassion.
2. May maintain registration, professional certifications (CST, CFA, etc.), participates in hospital required in-services pertinent to area of practice, and engages in continuing education to advance knowledge base.
3. Participates in committees, surveys, and self evaluation tools.
4. Presents a professional physical appearance.
5. Demonstrates, supports, and models the mission, vision, values, and rules of conduct of the Department of Surgery.
1. Participates in the quality improvement processes at the facilities.
2. Accomplishes a high standard of care in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team functioning as an advocate for those we serve.
3. Enhances professional growth and development by participating in and utilizing current evidence based information and keeping abreast of state and national accreditation, regulatory and safety standards.
4. Provides a learning atmosphere by sharing knowledge with co-workers/orientation of new staff, residents, and medical students.
1. Acts autonomously as a vital component of the care team following the professional standards as outlined by state regulations, the Association of Surgical Technologists, and department specific protocols appropriate to those we serve.
2. Assists with circulating duties under the direct supervision of a registered nurse.
3. Adapts to changing conditions to best meet the needs of our patients.
4. Accepts cultural and religious diversity of those we serve so as to meet their unique needs.
1. Maintains a strong partnership with surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, other staff members, ancillary support, and others to best meet the needs of the patient.
2. Practices and encourages commitment to coworker philosophy.
3. Gives recognition to others to promote professionalism and the recognition of surgical technologist excellence.
4. Attends required unit specific meetings and keeps up to date on current issues and practices.
5. Effectively communicates surgical needs to surgeons, medical personnel, nursing, and outside agencies.
6. Plans and facilitates the surgical environment of assigned cases providing professional intra-operative expertise to a wide variety of surgical diagnoses.
7. Attends mandatory, department, and Medical Center meetings. Keeps current regarding developments in surgical equipment, trends and techniques, through appropriate in service programs.
8. Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with department and Medical Center personnel and outside agencies.
9. Supports and is involved in the Medical Center's continuous quality improvement efforts designed to increase patient outcomes, increase patient satisfaction, and improve the utilization of the Medical Center's human, capital, and physical resources.
Fiscal Responsibility/Resource Management:
1. Practices cooperatively with the Medical Centers in support of the strategic plan.
2. Seeks ways provide care, service, supplies and equipment that meets patient needs within a reasonable cost structure.
3. Supports the medical center financial initiatives.