01st April, 2021
Under supervision of the registered nurse or designee, performs tasks and direct observations of patients and colleagues to minimize safety risks in the patient care environment and/or overall organization. Embodies the company Performance Excellence Standards of Safety, Quality, Integrity and Stewardship that support our mission, vision and values.
• GED/high school diploma preferred.
• Interpersonal and communication skills.
• Attention to detail
• Ability to follow written and verbal directions.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Embodies the company Performance Excellence Standards of Safety, Quality, Integrity and Stewardship that support our mission, vision and values:
• SAFETY: Prevent Harm - I will put safety first in everything I do. I will speak up, without fear, on matters of patient and colleague safety. I will take action to create an environment of zero harm.
• QUALITY: Improve Outcomes - I will continually advance my knowledge and skills. I will seek out continuous improvement opportunities. I will deliver evidence-based care that leads to excellence in outcomes.
• INTEGRITY: Show respect and Compassion - I will respect others and show compassion. I will behave honesty and ethically. I will be accountable for my attitude, actions and health.
• STEWARDSHIP: Reduce Waste - I will use resources wisely and maintain financial stability. I will work together to coordinate care and services across the health system. I will promote healthier communities.
2. Maintains the safety and security of patients at high risk for safety events.
• Provides 1:1 monitoring and documentation for patients that are high risk for suicide or harm to others, as ordered by the physician. Under no circumstances is a patient on 1:1 monitoring to be left unattended. Visual contact at all times must be maintained.
• Follows and documents safety checklists as appropriate and assists with ensuring an ongoing safe environment for a patient on 1:1 monitoring.
• Provides observation and documentation for patients at risk for elopement or injury, as delegated by the RN. These include patients that are high fall risk, exhibiting threatening behaviors or experiencing symptoms of dementia or confusion, etc.
• Calls out for assistance and/or utilizes call light for assistance in de-escalating patient and addressing at-risk behaviors. Instructs patient to remain in bed or chair at all times until assistance arrives.
• Observes and reports unusual conditions and/or change in patient behavior or appearance to the RN.
3. Enforces adherence to infection prevention precautions for patients, colleagues, and visitors.
• Follows hospital policies to prevent the transmission of infections.
• Sets up patient room with appropriate signage and PPE supplies.
• Observes donning and doffing of PPE for all personnel entering and exiting the patient room.
• Maintain record of all colleagues entering and exiting the patient room.
• Assures equipment is cleaned and maintained per policy between patient encounters.
• Assists with coordinating movement of a COVID-19 positive or presumptive positive patient.
4. Promotes efficient and effective functioning of the unit/hospital.
• Complies with established policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
Apply For Job
• Meets punctuality and attendance expectations.
• Uses designated lines of communication and authority.
• Cooperates with all members of the healthcare team.
• Interacts with patient/visitors and others in a courteous and respectful manner.
• May serve as an entrance screener or in other safety-related roles as directed by supervisor.