(3) 12 hour shifts per week. 3pm - 3am (every 3rd weekend and rotating holidays)
Utilizes the nursing process and delegation skills to prioritize and oversee all patient care delivered during assigned shift while maintaining recognized nursing standards. Coordinates total nursing care with other health care providers to meet holistic care needs of patient in both Med/Surg and Emergency Department.
REPORTS TO: Nurse Manager
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: RNs, LPNs, and unit clerks on duty for that shift
• Graduate of accredited school of nursing
• Current RN license in State of Nebraska
• 3-5 years of clinical Acute/ER experience, required
• BLS, ACLS, TNCC Certification Required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions if it does not pose an undue hardship. The requirements listed below are representative of the general knowledge, skill, and / or ability required:
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
• Ability to generate, read, interprets, and acts as it relates to basic financial statements, national and state regulations, operational and maintenance and organizational policy / procedures.
• Ability to write reports and correspondence.
• Ability to effectively communicate to patients, family, employees, physicians, etc…
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Utilizes the nursing process, for the performance of patient care, to assess, plan, intervene, and evaluate patient care to achieve prioritized patient outcomes.
• Performs complete admission assessment, including full body system analysis and home med reconciliation process for med-surgical, pediatric, ER and outpatients.
• Oversees hourly patient rounding for all patients.
• Performs patient/family teaching for assessed knowledge deficits.
• Evaluates patient progress toward desired discharge outcomes prior to dismissal.
• Demonstrates personal accountability in the delivery of patient care in a competent, professional and compassionate manner.
2. Provides patient care supervision.
• Effectively oversees care delivery and staffing needs and assignments on the nursing unit and emergency services.
• Initiates incident command as appropriate for emergency situations.
• Assures pain management assessment and interventions for patients are provided by primary nursing staff.
• Oversees care transition considerations as appropriate for each patient.
• Provides secure pharmacy coverage during the off-hours when pharmacy is not staffed.
• Demonstrates knowledge of treatments, policies/procedures, and equipment related to medical/surgical, and emergency room and OP care.
• Demonstrates team leadership skills by effectively organizing and assigning shift work load to accommodate infection prevention precautions and other elements of safe patient care.
3. Performs and maintains documentation.
• Efficiency in Cerner EHR functionality for both PowerChart (med/surg) and FirstNet (Emergency Nursing) with continued competency in documentation requirements.
• Documents accurate and ongoing assessments of patient status that reflect nursing interventions, patient responses, patient teaching and status of outcomes at discharge.
• Assures that shift end checks and narcotic count have been completed prior to leaving duty.
4. Communicates effectively.
• Communicates and collaborates effectively with other health team members regarding patient condition, nursing plan of care, patient satisfaction needs and recommendations for meeting identified outcomes.
• Follows approved shift report format when communicating patient information.
• Identifies and recognizes abnormal symptoms/changes in patient condition, established priorities, and takes appropriate action. Appropriately reports condition changes to medical provider.
• Oversees and facilitates nurse rounding with medical providers.
5. Promotes and ensures patient safety in performance of all responsibilities.
• Administers medications, treatments and procedures in a timely and safe manner according to physician orders and nursing policy, (including appropriate performance of standard precautions, using two patient identifiers, and performing patient risk assessments).
• Demonstrates proficient technical/clinical skills and operational knowledge of equipment on unit.
• Informs and involves manager regarding patient care issues in a timely and appropriate manner.
• Utilizes proper body mechanics, transfer/lifting techniques and appropriate equipment to minimize fall risk to patient and injury to self.
• Oversees patient safety considerations such as fall risk, hand hygiene by staff,
6. Performance Improvement & Personal Growth
• Observes for and reports potential or actual process concerns and actively seeks a resolution to the problem.
• Participates in department meetings and training opportunities to keep informed of changes affecting patient care and facility operations.
• Meets the minimum annual educational requirements.
• Shares knowledge and expertise by participating in training for co-workers and orientation of new staff.
• Provides positive role model for co-workers.
• Identifies and participates in JCH&L committees, performance improvement and quality initiatives and other activities which support the health center and department operations
7. Complies with the state and federal regulatory requirements related to the performance of JCH&L operations and requirements of the JCH&L Compliance Program, including but not limited to the Service Excellence Standards, the Compliance Policy, Safety and Infection Control, all department and organization-wide policies, Critical Access Hospital requirements, and Federal and State of Nebraska regulations.
8. Participates in professional growth and development requirements and opportunities by attending department meetings, participation in required and voluntary educational programs and in-service meetings, including current literature, workshops, and other developmental opportunities.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.