12th February, 2021
Job Type: Direct
This position reports to the Executive Director of Revenue Cycle and manages and directs the activities and functions of the Health Information Management (HIM) Department. Is responsible for successfully managing the organizational and administrative operation of the HIM Department. Monitors performance and evaluates employees in compliance with hospital policies. Coordinating responsibility to the medical staff regarding health information documentation issues.
Primary Job Duties:
1. Establishes, implements, and reviews goals and objectives for the HIM Department. Analyzes, selects, and implements programs necessary to achieve the goals and strategic plans of the hospital.
2. Plans, organizes, coordinates, and manages the activities of the HIM Department. Supervises HIM Department staff which includes, but is not limited to the following:
o Evaluates staff in compliance with hospital policies.
o Directly manages the clerical, transcription, coding and release of information functions
o Plans and prioritizes workload at the beginning of the shift and throughout shift in accordance with departmental goals, turnaround time standards, objectives, etc., so that the deadlines can be met
o Assures that staff is performing in a productive manner and that manpower that is assigned is used effectively to accomplish the goals/deadlines that are established. Addresses any concerns regarding employee’s inability to meet productivity standards and apprises (name reporting role) of any action plans that are required.
o Oversees the scanning process and ensures that the records are being scanned timely and appropriately. (Batch prep, acquisition, indexing, QA, etc.)
o Ensures that the delinquent medical record process is in accordance with the medical staff rules and regulations.
o Schedules staff and monitors compliance with scheduling.
o Problem solving to assure that the workload is current and quality remains consistent.
o Coordinates and directs staff education programs.
o Develops and maintains timely, accurate, and criteria-based job descriptions for all positions in the department.
o Maintains a harmonious working relationship.
o Provides orientation, training, and direction to new employees.
o Revises policies and procedures in compliance with hospital policies, Federal/State statutes and regulations.
o Plans, prepares, and monitors the budget for the HIM Department.
o Anticipates, plans, and coordinates all equipment needs for the HIM Department.
o Serves as a member and liaison to the Health Information/Utilization Review Committee.
o Develops, implements, and directs the HIM Department Quality Improvement Program. This program includes quality improvement plan and quantity/quality indicators to monitor the quality improvement activities of the HIM Department.
o Demonstrates knowledge in area of expertise and management and applies knowledge to practical situations. Keeps professionally current and meets changing demands of profession.
o Actively participates in fiscal division, department manager, and committee meetings as assigned.
3. Complies with the hospital’s Corporate Compliance Program including, but not limited to, the Code of Conduct, laws and regulations, and hospital policies and procedures.
4. Must be free from governmental sanctions involving health care and/or financial practices.
5. Maintains confidentiality of all personnel and patient care and relations information.
6. Actively participates in Strategic Plans for the department and organization. Actively participates in Customer/Guest Relations and Mandatory Education programs.
7. Follows hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
Apply For Job
- Three years’ previous supervisory experience in a hospital-based HIM department required.
- Computer skills.
- Computer literate with good keyboarding skills.
- Typing 40 WPM.
- Eye-hand coordination, manual and finger dexterity.
- Ability to run a copier. Ability to answer phones.
- Ability to learn and utilize alphabetical and terminal digit filing systems.
- High school graduate required.
- 2 years of college preferred.
- RHIA, RHIT, or Certified Coding Specialist required.
- The certification is required, not preferred.
- At a minimum, they should have an RHIT or CCS credential as required.