Within the RN scope of practice as defined by the Oregon State Board of Nursing, applies the nursing process to the care of patients. Teaches patients and significant others. Documents patient care in the medical record. Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to effectively coordinate overall care of the patient.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assesses patients, as appropriate to the scope of care the nurse will provide. Assessments may include: physical, psychosocial, learning needs and barriers, needs related to age/culture, discharge planning.
• Establishes nursing diagnoses based on results of assessments and in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
• Plans care according to identified diagnoses and needs. Updates plan of care as appropriate.
• Implements/performs individualized care, based on nursing care plan and the nurse’s role with the patient. This care may include but not be limited to:
o Assisting with activities of daily living, including fall risk management and safe patient handling.
o Medication administration
o Skin assessment/wound care
o Pain management
o Operation/manipulation of biomedical and other patient care and testing equipment, including but not limited to infusion pumps, patient transfer equipment, cardiopulmonary monitors, invasive catheters and drains, thermoregulation devices, measurement devices, medication dispensing cabinets, external therapeutic devices.
o Assisting the physician and other licensed, independent practitioners with invasive and non-invasive procedures.
o Teaching patients and their families about current illness, medical tests, medication, general healthcare, illness and disease prevention, and wellness promotion.
o Providing appropriate assignment, supervision, and direction to unlicensed assistive personnel in order to ensure optimum patient care.
o Providing interdisciplinary coordination and facilitation of overall care.
• Documents patient assessments, interventions, care, and teaching in the electronic medical record. Documents in paper format, as necessary. Documentation is complete, concise, timely, and legible.
• Evaluates care provided, communicates patient status and results of care to the interdisciplinary team.
• Other duties as assigned
• Provides holistic care for post-operative patients, including those who have had orthopedic, bariatric, urologic, or general surgical procedures
Equipment utilized in the unit/dept: Soon to be BBraun IV Pumps as of this month, Welch Allyn Vital Sign Machines, Bladder Scanner, lift equipment
•Able to read, write legibly, and converse effectively in the English language.
• Exhibits critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Flexible, able to prioritize and adapt to rapidly-changing patient and unit needs.
• Demonstrates effective teaching skills.
• Responds effectively to patient crisis/emergency situations
• Proficient in use of computer, including accessing internet, word processing, and documenting in an electronic medical record system.
• Maintains regular, consistent and punctual attendance at the assigned job location
• At least 3 years' experience
• High level of wound care skill preferredRecent acute care experience with orthopedic (total joint replacement, spinal, trauma) and/or bariatric surgery patients preferred
•Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of Oregon
• American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) or must be obtained by the last day of the month after the 60-day grace periodNational certification in orthopedics, gerontology, bariatrics, or medical-surgical nursing preferred
Shift or schedule requirements: Night shift. 12 hour shifts. 1900-0730, varied days
Floating to other units/departments: Floating to MCU, and REU based on experience, and possibly APU depending on when Tiered floating begins.
Bed size/number of rooms for this unit/dept.: 30 beds all private rooms
Nurse to patient ratio of this unit. (nursing only): 1:5 ratio, Charge RN doesn’t take patients – resource to staff
Dress Code: No designated scrubs, just per hospital policy for dress code.