12th June, 2020
Job Type: Direct
- Assists surgeon during operative and invasive procedures. Ensures operating suite is adequately prepared for procedure.
- Monitors PAR level of all surgical instruments and supplies.
- Responsible for decontamination, cleaning, processing and sterilization of supplies and equipment dispensed by the department following infection prevention and control practices and in accordance with regulations and standards by: CMS, CDC, AAMI, IAHCSMM, SGNA, AORN, and AST.
- Must be conscientious with regard to procedures and capable of working under pressure and interacting professionally with other departments within the organization.
- Participates in departmental staff meetings and performance improvement activities.
Attention to Detail
o Prepares room in a timely manner with anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment for each individual surgical procedure.
o Demonstrates competence in management of specimens under the direction of the surgeon.
o Assists in draping of patients for surgical procedures.
o Carries out medical/surgical asepsis during treatments/procedures.
o Maintains a safe environment for patient, co-workers and self, per hospital policies and procedures.
o Checks all equipment/instruments needed, prior to each procedure to ensure proper functioning.
o Sets up, scrubs and prepares for procedures prior to scheduled time, unless otherwise directed by Circulating RN or Surgery Director.
o Performs services requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of Circulating RN.
o Anticipates and hands instruments and supplies to the surgeon during the procedure.
o Holds retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon.
o Ensures proper operation of sterilizers prior to use per surgery schedule.
o Conducts sterility assurance testing upon opening the department. Records results in appropriate log book.
o Inspects steam autoclaves and other sterilization technology for visible signs of malfunction and reports to Surgery Director and Plant Operations.
o Processes or oversees, all contaminated instruments and supplies returned to the Sterile Processing Department.
o Applies knowledge of sterilization principles to correctly wrap or package items for sterilization.
o Performs general cleaning of department surface areas, racks, shelves, storage cabinets and storage area.
Knowledgeable regarding handling and care of instruments, tray preparation and special procedure items.
o Properly loads, operates and cleans sterilizers per manufacturer’s instructions for use.
o Receives and delivers supplies, monitors and maintains PAR levels.
o Participates in surgical time-out
o Assists with documenting chargesQUALIFICATIONS
- Education and Experience:
- High-School graduate or equivalent
- Certification in Surgical Technology preferred
- Certification in Sterile Processing preferred
- Regulatory Requirements:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) validation required
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects. Frequent moderate lifting, pulling, pushing, and carrying.
Types of procedures:
1. General Procedures
Apply For Job
- The main surgery that we do on Call is C-Section.
- Must have strong ortho experience.
- Working Conditions: Requires using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls. Requires walking, running, standing and repetitive movement. Requires contact with others (face-to-face, by telephone, or otherwise), with potential for conflict situations such as dealing with unpleasant, angry, or discourteous people. Potential exposure to contaminants, disease or infection. Requires working in cramped work spaces and getting into awkward positions. Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Mistakes are not easily correctable and may have serious consequences.
- Requires repeating the same physical activities or mental activities over and over.
- Requires being exact or highly accurate.
- Requires meeting deadlines. Requires work with others in a group or team. Includes responsibility for the health and safety of others. Includes responsibility for work outcomes and results. Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people.