10th January, 2022
Head Stockman | Full Time | Mundubbera QLD
An excellent opportunity for an experienced and motivated Head Stockman to make an impact and drive outcomes.
Our client is a family-owned agricultural enterprise that pride themselves on having things neat and working to a high standard, so if you prefer to be allowed to complete a job properly, this could be the place for you. Low stress stock handling is a must! The operation is spread over 5 properties within a 100km radius with the base located 80km west of Mundubbera and 150km north of Chinchilla. This is your opportunity to play a pivotal role in being a part of a progressive team that always strive for improvement.
Our client places considerable value on the important balance between livestock welfare, genetics, grazing land management and nutrition, and understands the nature in which this balance determines sustainability and long-term outcomes.
This role reports to the Overseer and has come about due to the previous Head Stockman’s resignation for parental leave. The previous Head Stockman will be available for technical support of the livestock management software so computer literacy is not a ‘must have’.
The ‘must have’ is an enthusiastic, dedicated and self-motivated person who is genuinely committed to achieving the best outcomes, a 100% kind of person, who has the drive to undertake the following aspects of the business:
- work collaboratively with the Overseer & Owners on the daily operations of the enterprise in an efficient and cost-effective manner
- manage a small team, ensuring priorities are managed proactively and efficiently
- manage livestock and ensure livestock procedures are followed in an efficient and cost-effective manner
- ensuring timely communication back to the Owners on a regular basis, working together to anticipate issues
- mustering is completed using horses, 2-wheel motorbikes and helicopter. No mustering on quads
Ideally you will bring to this role:
- experience in a similar Head Stockman role
- plenty of ‘nous’ - you will be self-motivated and able to think ahead/forward plan/prioritise. This isn’t a role for someone who needs to be spoon fed a work plan/schedule!
- experience with best practice cattle production and low stress stock handling
- proven leadership, communication and management skills
- ability to operate and maintain machinery, and
- desire to improve enterprise productivity and profitability.
While couples are welcome to apply, our client is really looking for a great Head Stockman so single applicants should put themselves forward. Having said that, our client can offer a partner childminding, general hand tasks.
Assistant Head Stockmen are also encouraged to apply, the Owners will consider a less experienced person with the right determination to succeed.
A competitive salary package will be provided plus Superannuation, phone allowance (BYOD) and accommodation (meals are not included) for single/couple. Qualifications & Experience:
What You Need To Do Now
- LSS - Low stress stock handling skills - Essential
- Experience in a similar sized enterprise of at least 2 years
- Machinery skills and competence in general farm maintenance
- People management skills, leadership, time management and communications
- Training with the Meat & Livestock Australia EDGE program https://www.mla.com.au/extension-training-and-tools/edgenetwork/ is well regarded
- HR license or ability to obtain this
- Trade Qualified ie. Mechanic, Boilermaker, Builder well regarded
If this sounds like you, click 'apply now' or alternatively email Nick via Nick@classicrecruitment.net.au for a confidential discussion.
An immediate start is available and preliminary interviews via Zoom/MS Teams will be scheduled as soon as possible.
Apply For Job